lost IP addresses

UniqueIdentity
Comes here often

lost IP addresses

I've got two MX105's in a hot spare setup along with a number of MR46 Access Points.

On the MX105 logging is enabled for flows and URL which goes to a Graylog server.

If a PC that is physically plugged into the network goes to a website I can see the source IP address of the PC and the destination IP address of the website (using Graylog). However, when the same PC is wirelessly connected to an Access Point the source IP shows as the Access Point, not the PC.

Is there any way for the MX105 to report the wireless clients IP address instead of the Access Point (if it helps, both wireless and wired networks are on the same VLAN)?

The reason for asking this forum is because the logs are coming from the MX105 but I do realize that if there is a setting for this it may reside on the MR46 so I'm hoping there is some crossover between forums.

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

What addressing mode are you using on the wireless SSID? Sounds like you might be using NAT mode, which means all traffic from the SSID will be NATed to the access point’s IP address. You’ll want to move to bridge mode so that the IP address doesn’t get modified.

Its currently set to "External DHCP Server assigned" and is in Bridged mode with layer 3 roaming disabled. 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @Bruce said, it sounds like you're using Meraki NAT mode on the Wifi SSID. So the clients communication are all NAT'd out by the AP.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/NAT_Mode_with_Meraki_DHCP

Its currently set to "External DHCP Server assigned" and is in Bridged mode with layer 3 roaming disabled. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels