cellular fail over taking too long

tantony
Head in the Cloud

cellular fail over taking too long

I'm sorry if this is a double post, but when WAN 1 fails, cellular is taking atleast 5 minutes to fail over.  

7 REPLIES 7
tantony
Head in the Cloud

When I go to the usb modem page it says I have -114 dBm

According to Meraki website, that's 5 bars, full signal strength

Signal Strength Indicator

If a cellular modem is capable of reporting signal strength to the appliance it is attached to, the dashboard will display it in a count of one to five bars, corresponding with the following values:

BarsSignal Strength (dBm)
1≤ -102
2-93
3-87
4-78
5 ≥ -40

5 minutes can happen. It depends on the kind of failure. There's more info here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Connection_Monitoring_for_WAN_Failo...

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

-114 dBm is 1 bar .

tantony
Head in the Cloud

@ww 

When I plug in the usb modem to my laptop and run a speed test, I'm getting 60 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up.  Shouldn't that be sufficent?

@BrechtSchamp 

Thanks, I'll check it out

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How are you simulating failure?  Pulling out the WAN cable?

If so that is abnormal.  This may be related to the carrier you are using or the USB stick.  Have you got a different kind of USB stick that you can try?

When the comcast connection goes down, I unplug the comcast cable from the modem and plug back in.  I can see the usb modem is trying to connect but it takes a while, and even when the dashboard says cellular active, everything is slow.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the dashboard says cellular is active - then it must be online because it sent this status update over the 4G connection.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels