cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bandwidth reservations? (MX64w)

Getting noticed

bandwidth reservations? (MX64w)

Hi,

I have a Meraki MX64W deployed, which is soon to be shared between two small companies, so two VLANs. There will be a 200mb internet connection.

Rather than limiting each VLAN to 100mb and potentially having unused bandwidth, can I have a policy to allow either to use all the bandwidth available, but reserve 100mb for each if both are pushing a lot of traffic through at the same time?

Similar to how vmware uses limits and reservations for VMs.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
A model citizen

Re: bandwidth reservations? (MX64w)

There isn't a good way to do that. About all you can do is in traffic shaping on the security appliance is set a bandwidth limitation for the subnet.

Getting noticed

And if I stuck a Meraki switch in front of the MX, would the switch be able to achieve this?

A model citizen

No, the switch has some QoS settings you can apply, but you don't have any traffic shaping options for the switch.

Kind of a big deal

Jeez... You can *almost* do this with Priority... but In the end it'd be a bit of a kludgey set up. You'd have to trick the MX into thinking it had a bigger pipe than it does, and get creative on the Traffic Shaping policies...  

I'm not sure it would work exactly as you want either 😞

A model citizen

@jdsilva I agree with that. I don't think it would be very reliable. It would be helpful if the "Traffic shaping rules" also had a SpeedBurst option like the "Global bandwidth limits" offered.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.