Z3's and home users using T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Connections

Eseider
Conversationalist

Z3's and home users using T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Connections

There seems to be a pretty widespread issue with users connecting a Z3 tunnel over T-Mobile 5G Home Internet connections.

I suspect T-Mobile is doing some kind of UDP port translation but wondering if other people have solved this problem.

It is ironic that the Internet is full of people reporting a similar problem and Cisco/T-Mobile is touting their M51's.  LOL

Any insight on what to configure differently on the Z3's or the "magic words" to tell T-Mobile support would be appreciated.

Eric A Seider
4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not from a country that has T-Mobile, so can't help - but I know if I had a choice of carriers and one didn't work - I would not use them ...

LOL.  We let our employees pick their own local ISP.  Rural employees do not have many choices.

Eric A Seider
Nate_Tee
New here

Did you ever find a solution for this? I tried the T-Mobile 5G home internet today, and it was great except that my Z3 didn't work. It was strange, the Z3 showed connected both on the LED and on the Meraki console and was even able to run a throughput test. When I tried to connect to the wireless, it simply would never connect.

The event logs showed 802.1x association and disassociation and BGP was bouncing all over the place. I threw my Xfinity modem back in the mix, and immediately back in business. Guess that's why T-Mobile internet is only $50.

Nihar_Mehta
Conversationalist

I have been running an MX with T-Mobile Home Internet for the last 3 years in a dual carrier configuration with a cable provider.  It is working, including  using 5G only with the cable modem disconnected for weeks at a time. I set my TMHI connection as the primary so the connection so SDWAN VPN's to other locations (including other TMHI connected MX & Z1 )  is primary over this interface .

TMHI is native IPv6 in their backbone.  The premises gateways do a NAT46 and then as it exits the network, there is an additional  NAT64 within their network. This is a performance bottleneck and a likely source of issues with the VPN.  Its possible that in your region this may be causing your issues.

I doubt this will solve your problems, but you may want to try overriding the default DNS on the Z3 WAN interface and set a static IP+DNS since it is just a private subnet between the Z3 and the gateway.  I would also set a preferred DNS provider for the client vlan as well if you have not already. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels