Z3 VLAN question

dpallison
Conversationalist

Z3 VLAN question

Hello everyone,

I have an issue I am struggling with and I am hoping y'all may be able to help!

We are currently set up for vlans as follows:

192.168.130.0/23

Which we subnet out as /29 to/on the Z3 devices. This gives us a total of 64 subnets each with 6 usable IP addresses.

We have purchased an additional 20 devices, which we need to expand the number of networks for.

I am trying to change the configuration under “Routing” in our device template from 192.168.130.0/23 to 192.168.128.0/22, Which should increase our number of networks from 64 to 128 (each with 6 usable IPs). When I do this, it automatically changes the /29 subnet for each individual network to a /24. If I manually change it back to a /29, I get the error:

"Failed to auto generate 60 unique subnets for 'VLAN Z3 - Remote': Subnet pool '/29 from 192.168.128.0/22' has 36 subnets available."

SO what am I doing wrong, and how can I accomplish what I need to?  I need at least 70 unique /29 networks for my devices.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

IMO, you only did one thing wrong: You did not *finally* decide what addressing you need on the template-bound networks. And because it's really hard to decide what is needed in the future, I do not like templates because of the inflexibility.

As a short term solution, I would build a completely new template that is large enough for now and for the future and put all new devices in this template.

Mid-term, the probably best solution is not to use a template and build your own automation-script with the API.

Aaron_Wilson
A model citizen

I agree with the above, set the range once and never try to grow. Always easier to slice up, never easy to combine. I put all my templates in /19 ranges just to be safe, regardless if I carve up as a /24, /29, etc.

Maybe the Meraki is having an issue trying to grow from the bottom end? Rather than growing from the upper end?

dpallison
Conversationalist

Just wanted to follow up with what the resolution was for this.  I opened a case with Meraki, and they were able to identify an issue on their side preventing me from making the change.  The resolved their issue (they never explained what it was) and I was able to modify my network and move on.

Thanks again for the responses.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels