Wish: Speedtests from MX

Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

Wish: Speedtests from MX

Another feature I would like: The ability to run speedtests from the MX device. Meraki engineers have this capability so it's definitely possible. Currently the only speedtest available to us is our speedtest to a local MX device.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
4 Replies 4
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@Mr_IT_Guy Along the same lines - iperf built into the MXen would be really useful, especially since Support sometimes requests iperf tests to be run. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud


@MRCUR wrote:

@Mr_IT_Guy Along the same lines - iperf built into the MXen would be really useful, especially since Support sometimes requests iperf tests to be run. 


This. I would LOVE this.

BHC Resorts IT Department
robby_barnes
Getting noticed


@Mr_IT_Guy wrote:

Another feature I would like: The ability to run speedtests from the MX device. Meraki engineers have this capability so it's definitely possible. Currently the only speedtest available to us is our speedtest to a local MX device.


 

I spoke to our sales engineer about running speed tests from the MX, particularly through the API.  We are in a unique scenario where we are a retail chain with about 1500 stores across the country, and one of our partners requires that we do speed tests once a month to "validate" that we are compliant with their requirements.  It would be amazing if we could just write a script that did a quick speedtest via the API in each location (even if it just did one at a time successively) and reported back.

 

What they told me is 2 things.  The built in speed test on the dashboard was built to estimate download times for the devices from the Meraki cloud.  Once they had that feature in there, they decided to just make it exposed to the dashboard because there might be times where it's helpful, but it was never truly designed to be a full speed test.

 

Second was that they are concerned about adding more speedtest options in to these devices due to how easily you could use that to DDOS something, whether intentionally or otherwise.

 

A little frustrating, since it would be such a convenient solution for us to use, but to me it makes sense at least.


@robby_barnes wrote:

@Mr_IT_Guy wrote:

Another feature I would like: The ability to run speedtests from the MX device. Meraki engineers have this capability so it's definitely possible. Currently the only speedtest available to us is our speedtest to a local MX device.


 

I spoke to our sales engineer about running speed tests from the MX, particularly through the API.  We are in a unique scenario where we are a retail chain with about 1500 stores across the country, and one of our partners requires that we do speed tests once a month to "validate" that we are compliant with their requirements.  It would be amazing if we could just write a script that did a quick speedtest via the API in each location (even if it just did one at a time successively) and reported back.

 

What they told me is 2 things.  The built in speed test on the dashboard was built to estimate download times for the devices from the Meraki cloud.  Once they had that feature in there, they decided to just make it exposed to the dashboard because there might be times where it's helpful, but it was never truly designed to be a full speed test.

 

Second was that they are concerned about adding more speedtest options in to these devices due to how easily you could use that to DDOS something, whether intentionally or otherwise.

 

A little frustrating, since it would be such a convenient solution for us to use, but to me it makes sense at least.


Did you ever manage to get a solution to this problem. I also noticed the Meraki throughput test a bit useless and was hoping to do some API speed test.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.