Wired Client bandwidth limit

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Wired Client bandwidth limit

Well, I found out the hard way I didnt have the Global Bandwidth limit set under SD-WAN & traffic shaping. Most of my client activity is done over wireless and I went to do a big download and was very pleased with the speed but my 40 other residents were not. Haha. 

My line is ATT business fiber at 250/250

I enabled the global bandwidth limit there in SD-WAN settings and ramped it down to 120000. No speed burst. Its been about 2 hours. I can still pull over 200mbit on Speedtest.net both up and down? Is there something else I need to do to make this work properly? I had seen some instructions for doing this by VLAN which would work for my use case. But this should work, no? 

Saw this - https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Limit-bandwidth-for-wired-clients/m-p/47437#M3956 and it didnt quite seem instructive as to what I might be doing wrong.

RumorConsumer_0-1615950484293.png

No firewall rules that might be overriding

RumorConsumer_1-1615950519539.png

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
10 Replies 10
RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

I just got off the phone with support and they suggested that instead of doing the global band with limit through the slider there on the SD WAN configuration page that I try a group policy to limit bandwidth. We set up the policy and then I went over to my VLAN configuration to tell the only VLAN I really care about to adopt the group policy. I selected it from the list and it shows in the list of group policies but then when I hit save it does not stick. Any thoughts? I had to get off the phone but will call back to figure out what’s going on

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What firmware version your on?

If 16.x then i would try the 15.x

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

They called back

said it’s an outage

test later today

I was able to confirm that the Group Policy setting sticks now.

But i turn it on and it doenst seem to take effect immediately. Is there a lag time between turning it on and it actuating? Can I expect to run a speedtest.net speed test and not see the needle move over the bandwidth limit set? 

If I actually only care about one VLAN having a bandwidth limit, is the best practice to do the limit via the group policy and leave the SDWAN and Wireless bandwidth limits to unlimited so that my admin and other VLANs are unencumbered? @PhilipDAth ?

And with the group policy do you lose Speedburst? This might be a good argument for using the regular dials.

I just spent the last 75 minutes with Meraki support (good rep) and he was unable to get the rule to work under any configuration - global, VLAN based policy, specific client based. So weird. They are escalating it.

The global client limit should work and usually kicks in reasonably quicky.

Group policy doesn't affect existing cached flows.  So sometimes it can take 10 minutes to kick in.

@PhilipDAth no dice. just tested the global again on SD WAN. Set it to 40000. Speedtest on wired client still hits 200mbit+

What about if you try something extreme, like 64?

Well I’m not sure what happened but the group policy seems to be working now for my primary user vlan. Pretty neat. Thank you for the replies. @PhilipDAth It seems like the MX takes a few seconds to realize that it should turn the speed down on like a Speedtest. There’s no speed boost option with the group policy the way there is in the firewall and traffic shaping preferences for the SDWAN. What’s with those few seconds of crazy high speeds that then get turned down? Does it just take it a moment? 

I just uploaded a file and watched my Mac's activity monitor bop up and down from 15megabytes per second to 35 then back to 20 etc. 150000kbit/sec should be about 18MB/sec. Why doesnt it just hard cut it off there? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels