I recently got a Meraki Z1 and have it setup on my network. I got everything configured for a client VPN connection, but I can't get my Windows 10 surface tablet to connect. I've tested the VPN connection with my native Android phone VPN setup and everything works fine. Upon setting up the native Win10 client, I get an error 789.
I've gone back and made sure all services were started ( IPSEC Policy Agent and IKE and AuthIP IPSec ), I've made a firewall rule to not block traffic on ports 40, 500 and 4500 and I made the changes to my VPN adapter to require encryption, allow only PAP and set my password in the advanced settings ( preshare key )... am I missing anything here? I've rebooted several times, removed and re-added the connection and continue to get the error 789.
Any additional pointers here would be MUCH appreciated.
As a desperate resort - I once had an issue with a Windows 10 machine that couldn't handle a special character in the PSK that caused it not to work. Worked on every other device. I eventually got it working by using a simpler PSK. If you don't get anywhere, on a million to one shot, try a simple PSK like "password". If the problem still happens change your PSK back. If it starts working you know it is the PSK, and then change it to something less complex than you had before.
I'll give the simple password a shot and see if that fixes the issue. Also, thanks for the troubleshoot guide, but I definitely ran through as many troubleshoot guides as I could before posting. I have a feeling it could be something with the password ( as I've done just about everything else ), so crossing fingers on that!