Wifi VPN Speed Issues

ChristopherLDR
Getting noticed

Wifi VPN Speed Issues

We noted on some PCs, when connected to Wifi in their home environments, the VPN speeds are significantly reduced.  Issues are resolved on a wired connection.  Note, that when not connected to the VPN the Wifi speeds are all good.

Any suggestions?

15 REPLIES 15
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ChristopherLDR : follow the below thread and check 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Wifi-problem-very-slow-speed/m-p/97816#M14409

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, it happens with the power adapter connected and also with WiFi 6.

Any other thoughts?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What hardware they have at home?

What speed do they get wired vs wireless?

A few different routers, one supplied by the service provider.  Systems use a killer WiFi card (AX1650).  In Windows 10, systems get 80 megabits up and down, and 0.1 megabits over when connected to VPN over Wifi.  When wires it is 80 megabits up and down.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

So the problem is with client vpn? 

And only clients with that ax1650 card? 

If they are using the killer provided driver can you try uninstall that one and use windows provided driver

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It could still be the power saving settings on the WiFi NIC.  Try this from powershell to set WiFi to maximum performance:

powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0
powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have a 1650 in my laptop with an MR56 and an MR55 running 28.3.  No issues at all on wireless performance, but we don't use the Meraki client VPN.  Therefore I'd discount the wireless connection itself, sounds more like a VPN issue.  Is the VPN okay with non Meraki APs?

Issues only occurs when dialing into the VPN connection, when connected to Wifi, any access point Maraki or not.  When not connected to the VPN all good.  Work around is to hard wire the laptop if wanting to connect to the VPN.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you set the MTU on the VPN adapter to be smaller, say 1400?

Thank you.

Could I ask, what do you think is the preferred approach to changing the MTU setting of the adapter?

Davids_Worner
Here to help

Using a VPN but confused about why it’s showing down your internet speed. The following tips will help you to fix your slow VPN problems.

1. Pick the right server
  2. Keep your VPN client up to date
  3. Use Ethernet rather than Wi-Fi
  4. Reduce the encryption level where suitable
  5. Don't set up a VPN on your router
  6. Try TCP and UDP protocols
  7. Use split tunneling
  8. Upgrade your ISP plan
  9. Switch to a new VPN
  10. Avoid free VPNs

So long as your internet provider is fast, your VPN should be fast and fit for purpose.

ChristopherLDR
Getting noticed

This issue affects three XPS 9310, with Killer 1650 cards, but none of our other laptops with standard Intel. Does anyone have any further thoughts?

OVERKILL
Building a reputation

Two things:

1. Are you using the latest drivers straight from Intel? If not, might be worth a shot, to see if it makes a difference.

2. I assume you are using the Meraki Client VPN and not AnyConnect? Have you tried AnyConnect? 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try removing the Killer software off one and use the standard Intel drivers.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels