Warmspare using an VIP

V_007
Getting noticed

Warmspare using an VIP

Hi All,

PLease find Attached diagram where i need to configure warmspare between 2 MX and achieve an redundancy of isp. Basically im planning to use VIP mode of configuration to configure warmspare which recommends by Cisco also. Pls find below points from Meraki document

Use virtual uplink IPs: When using this option, both MXs will use a shared virtual IP (VIP) when sending traffic to the internet. This option requires an additional public IP per uplink, but allows for seamless failover because the IP address the network is using to communicate with the internet will be consistent. The VIP for each uplink must be in the same subnet as the IPs of the MXs themselves for that uplink, and the VIP must be different from both MX uplink IPs.

Virtual IP 

The virtual IP address (VIP) is shared by both the primary and warm spare VPN concentrator. VPN traffic is sent to the VIP rather than the physical IP addresses of the individual concentrators. The virtual IP is configured by navigating to Security & SD-WAN > Monitor > Appliance status when a warm spare is configured. It must be in the same subnet as the IP addresses of both appliances, and it must be unique. In particular, it cannot be the same as either the primary or warm spare's IP address.

Can anyone please let me know at my user browser which ip will reflect when i do " Whats my ip address " in browser . Is it Individual MX uplink ip or VIP ?

image006.png

3 REPLIES 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It will be the VIP for all user-traffic. But the individual MX IPs are still in use for Dashboard-communication of the MXes, you can't go without them.

V_007
Getting noticed

Hi Karsteni,

Thank you  for a reply. So it will be vip which reflects in user browser when i do "whats my ip " Also i think my email server and sdwan also works with vip which still now working with MX uplink ip. 

Please share your valuable thoughts.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, just remember that you have to adjust some DNS entries for IP changes of the main server. The SDWAN will wirk out of the box as the dashboard is handling the addresses.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels