WLAN-station-mode internet access

nikiwaibel
Getting noticed

WLAN-station-mode internet access

MV12 gets internet access via WLAN-station-mode in fall 2018. any chance, this wireless feature is also merged into MR / Z1 / Z3 / MX64W / MX65W series?

it would be (VERY!) nice to connect those devices DIRECTLY in wlan-station mode to the internet.

2 REPLIES 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @nikiwaibel, sorry, no, the common use case for wireless capability on the MV12 will be to replace legacy systems where there might only be power and coaxial cabling, an no Cat5/6 to all the cameras.  That way, the power cable could still be used just the same as before to power the camera, but the MV12 can connect to the WLAN as a client and there's no need to run any Cat5/6.  The MV12 can, of course, also run normally on Cat5/6 PoE, which would be the preference (wired when you can, wireless when you must) since it's non-mobile infrastructure equipment.

The MR equipment can auto-mesh, which is perhaps similar in concept, as long as the AP has power, without any wired LAN connectivity, it can auto-mesh to other APs for the backhaul.  I do not see any related functionality coming to any Z/MX series.

Now, if I misunderstood your question, and you're asking if an MV12 can join the WLAN on an MR, Z1, Z3 or MX-W appliance, in that case, yes!  The MV12 can join any of those as a wireless client.

hi @MerakiDave,

the use case is, that an employee takes a Z1/Z3 with him on a biz-trip. in the hotel-room, there may no wired connection and there is neither a cellular data card (or USB-LTE-stick) available. BUT, the hotel provides free WLAN access → if a Z1, Z3 could directly use the hotel-WiFi in station/client mode (in addition to AP-mode), the employee would be pretty happy.

if the cameras WiFi can connect in station (aka client) mode to access the internet - and a GUI of some sort, to configure that mode, is developed/available - that code should be integrated into the Z1 / Z3 series as well. it would provide a 3rd way to get an internet connection: ethernet, USB and (new) WiFi (client-mode).

IMHO that feature should be merged into MX64W and MX65W as well.

and yes, the MR products have a similar function: automatically switch to repeater-mode within a meraki-WLAN or bridge a meraki-VLAN to ethernet using a meraki-WLAN. this works nice within a fully deployed meraki environment (which i like and prefer very much, of course!). but it may happen, that you want to bridge a non-meraki WLAN, or use that WLAN as internet connection. (again) if you have a way to setup WLAN-client-mode on the cams, then there are use cases for this feature also on Z1, Z3, MX64W, MX65W and also on the MR.

hope i could explain good enough.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels