how to configure voice traffic on Meraki MX64 to work through vpn

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you set the (voice) vlan  to be active  in vpn  it should work. 

munaf
Comes here often

how to configure voice vlan on meraki

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki mx does not support voice vlan  on the access  Port. 

munaf
Comes here often

then how can we have voice traffic on mx64

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is nothing special about a voice VLAN.  At most it is a VLAN with a QoS rule set on it.  It is quite common that switches support a 'voice' VLAN for their own company's VoIP handsets that uses LLDP or similar to make the configuration easier, but that is all it is.

Essentially if you need just a VoIP device on the port, simply set it in access mode and choose the VLAN that is used elsewhere for voice.

If you need a port to be for a PC and a VoIP handset, with the PC plugging into the second LAN port on the handset, create a trunk port and set the PC VLAN as native.  The VoIP handset then needs to be set to be on the voice VLAN by tagging it's traffic.  This can usually be done manually on the phone, or if you have more than a few via DHCP options.  If using DHCP options you will need to put the option to set the phone's VLAN on the scopes for both the intended 'voice' VLAN and the native PC VLAN.  The PC will ignore it.

It's actually easier to set up than describe, once you know the DHCP option for your make of VoIP handset.

munaf
Comes here often

do u have any guide doc for this so i can try to understand it

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sorry, I worked it out one morning when I had to get a site of Mitel phones working on HP switches...  Happy to help more though if you have more specifics.

• Is it the two devices per port or one device you need?
  • What make and model of handsets are you using?
  • What voice system do they need to connect to?

Cheers, Charles

munaf
Comes here often

i have configured site to site vpn connectivity between sites are good, i have access to the devices from site B to site A and site A to site B. i want to send voice traffic through vpn and i am stuck with this part so need some assistance to resole this issue

munaf
Comes here often

default firewall rule is enabled and default raffic shaping is enabled but still there is no voice traffic flwing through vpn tunnel

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels