VoIP DHCP, best practice to setup on MX or MS225 Stack??

AlexanderMason
New here

VoIP DHCP, best practice to setup on MX or MS225 Stack??

Recently changed out our infrastructure to Meraki, I have an MX84 and stacked MS225 switches.  I'm moving out the Mitel phone system for a cloud based VoIP system.  Currently we will only be running around 30 phones and trying to decide where the best place to house the DHCP range for VoIP?

Haven't been able to find any documentation on best practices.

Current infrastructure is as follows.

Single MX84 ( no warm spare)

stacked MS225 48 port (hub)

2 other MS225 (spoke switches)

VoIP will be vlan 50, looking for a kind of set it and forget it as far as DHCP for VoIP, not really wanting to add the scope to the Microsoft DHCP server ( it has been unstable lately and will be replace in near future)

So the big question, is there any benefits to having the DHCP on the MX or the MS225 stack?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Big benefit apart from "set it and forget it"? Possibly not, from an operational standpoint it's even another single point of failure and an additional source of troubleshooting if something fails.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MS225 cannot host a DHCP scope, I'd host it on the MX and ideally have a spare configured so you have HA DHCP 🙂

Edit: we do this at our HQ, MX hosts all the needed scopes for our 14 VLANs (including voice)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels