Verizon USB Modem support

MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

Verizon USB Modem support

Verizon stopped selling the USB620L and now replaces defective or broken USB620L with Verizon USB730L. I read on line that Meraki Does NOT support the USB730L. Since the USB620L is no longer available when will the USB730L be supported? This is a critical issue for us.  Has anyone else found alternatives or reasonable substitutes with similar performance?

40 REPLIES 40
Dave
Getting noticed

I'm surprised they dropped the U620L already.   Thanks for the heads up. 

I would be willing to bet that Meraki will support the USB730L, but it will be nice to get an official response. 

MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

I agree @Dave, It seems these days the mobile giants produce new tech faster than the applicable industries can keep up with.  Must be a sales thing.

Morgan
Here to help

I would recommend the Skyus Modems, as they are AWESOME, and fully compatible. They also are compatible long term as new versions come out, with no support issues.

MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

Thanks @Morgan, I will take a look at those ASAP!  @DarkStar, something to consider mayhaps?

Also, they are full USB powered, so no additional power cords. We use 15' USB cords so that we can mount the modem out of the rack and on the wall, then you still have 10-15' of antenna cable depending on what antennas you order. They also make outdoor antenna's you can use if signal is week. With good signal, you can get 40MB downloads on Verizon. Signal strength is visible in the dashboard. Here is a link to it, they have a new DS Series that works even better: https://feeneywireless.com/product/skyus/

MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

Awesome, thanks @Morgan for the additional info and link.  I think these devices are definitely going to be brought to the table at our next Infrastructure meeting. 

Due to the power requirements it is not advised to use USB extension cables with the SkyusDS or any USB modem for that matter.  If you are in need of placing the antenna in a more convenient RF location you should use a calculated run of coax which accounts for loss.

Dave
Getting noticed

Do you just take your SIM card out of your Verizon USB modem and install it in the Skyus Modem?

Thanks for the info. 

In theory that would work. Typically when we order them, they come with a new SIM already installed. 

bholmes12
Getting noticed

We at testing with cradlepoint and so far it's going really well. 

Had active VOIP calls running over VPN and failed over to the Verizon 4G and the calls stayed active, it was pretty impressive. 

https://cradlepoint.com/products/arc-cba850

@bholmes12I'm a huge fan of Cradlepoints.  We have a few mobile sites and a few rural sites that run exclusively on cradlepoints.  They work pretty well for the most part.  The only issue we have there is that only the older models support 3G coverage which unfortunately is all we have in some of our rural areas.  It will be 4G eventually and regardless most devices will drop the 3G capability after that happens I'm sure.

smartin
Here to help

Opened a case two  weeks ago regarding the USB730L, Cisco confirmed not support.

Connected the USB730L into a MX64 and it's working, confused because same firmware

Dave
Getting noticed

Good to know it works at least.   Thanks for posting that. 

TUCTech
Conversationalist

I have sent multiple emails to them on this. None of the devices on the supported list are available through Verizon or ATT. Only option is to buy a supported device from Amazon. Hardly an optimal solution. Super disappointed that Meraki hasn't updated this device list and that no one at Meraki has been able to provide a roadmap for getting this done

BenMFJohnson
Conversationalist

We've been buying UML295 off eBay for like $30 bucks or so.  

I'm about to buy a few Skyus's but the cost is, well, not competitive - and they barely budged on price on quantity 5 or for dealer pricing.  Glad Feeney is on here.  Why not seed a few units out to Meraki partners so we *know* how much better a Skyus is.

Right now I'm not convinced it's worth paying 10x for. 

Yep, unfortunately you get what you pay for.

The eBay special will work until it doesn't, most consumer devices succumb to heat and don't fair so well with a continues duty-cycle(the connection with the carrier is always maintained even while on standby in the "ready" state).  The Skyus holds up very well in a continuous harsh environment.  

With the Skyus you also get a 1 year warranty which can be extended a total of three years.

We do offer device demos, give a call into sales and request one!  I would suggest purchasing direct Insidesalesus@inseego.com 877-685-9040 and see if you can negotiate volume discounts, fortunately/unfortunately I am in support so I don't speak dollars and cents.

We are excited to contribute to this community.  We hope to provide our knowledge of the Skyus and Mifi modems, as well as cellular and USB dongle in general to folks.  I don't like to mix sales with support so I will attempt to keep that noise to a minimum! 

Do you still have the models that are on the supported device list?

@TUCTech,

We still make and sell the SkyusDS.

The Mifi USB730L is rumored to work in MX appliances but is not fully intregrated into the Z1 so therefore does not appear on the supported USB modems list. 

We are starting to role out our newest modem the SkyusDS2 but we are still awaiting full integration of connection management on the Security Appliances.

Link to the supported USB modems...

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Cellular/3G_-_4G_Cellular_Failover

Opened a case with Cradlepoint,  the next firmware update on 10/20 will enable you to use the USB730L in their devices.

We use the Cradlepoint 1200B Model.

We then attach the Cradlpeint to port4 on our MX64, change the role from LAN to Internet.

Nice failover and the Cradlepoint can be moves to a better location for connect speed.

Downloaded/Installed latest firmware (6.4.2) for the Cradlepoint 1200B and the Verizon USB 720L card is now working.

I found this thread informative. I had a related question regarding the USB730L. It's now officially supported by Meraki. Does anyone know the proper way to boot both devices to use the USB730L as a primary wan connection? I need to run an outbuilding for a few days without ethernet wan. 

If I plug it into a unpowered MX64 and add power, the final result is the solid orange light on the MX while the Verizon is solid green and ready to go. Would it be better to boot the MX64 without the USB730L until orange light then plug it in? 

Notes:

MX 13.25 firmware

USB730L works fine when plugged into a laptop

@Jetpilot45,

Using both scenarios you listed, the Meraki MX should start using the connection if the USB modem is setup properly. Test the connection with Windows. Ensure the proper APN is set for your Mobile Device Number feature set,  if it's a dynamic NAT'd IP then your

APN should be vzwinternet, if you are not sure contact your verizon sales rep or call into customer service.  

If you are using the USB730L with a different carrier you will deffently need to login to the modem UI and set the proper APN.

You could try current beta firmware 14.17 to ensure the modem is integrated, 13.25 was before the USB730L was considered supported by Meraki.

When pursuing support of a MiFi device first contact your carrier, if you are still stuck you can contact the MiFi support group.

VZW - Customer Service
(800) 922-0204

or dial *611 from your mobile phone

Mon - Fri, 7 AM - 11 PM local time
Sat - Sun, 8 AM - 9 PM local time

Inseego MiFi Support: 

888-997-5211

To force the MX to use USB as the primary, ensure no other Ethernet is connected at WAN1 or WAN2.

Still stuck? contact Meraki Support!

Good luck, and Check back with the community to let us know how it went!

Jeremy

Seems latest Beta version is 13.25, where/how can I access 14.17 ?

Thank you Jeremy/ @InseegoSupport

Because I need to get the timing correct regarding when to plug in the USB730L during MX bootup, I suspect a firmware issue. @smartin I also can't see any updates available beyond 13.25 and am asking the same questions regarding 14.17.

@Jetpilot45 & @smartin,

1) Select Organization > Firmware Upgrades.

2) Tick the device device type you would like to upgrade/downgrade

3) Click Schedule upgrades.

4) Select the Target Firmware Version you would like to apply.

5) Click Next, the next screen will allow you to schedule the upgrade, and then confirm.

2017-11-02_16-16-13-02.png2017-11-02_16-16-13-42.png

If you are not presented with the newer versions try stepping up to the highest you have available.  After you confirm you device is running the last scheduled version, repeat the above process to see if you then have the newest version available to apply.  If you still don't see the latest beta available, contact Meraki support for assistance.

Same Issue 13.25 is the last beta available. 

Firmware.jpg

I think Meraki support actually has to allow you to see the higher version like 14.X  You'll need to contact them. 

@Dave,

Funny, the screen shots I posted are from my home network.  I have my network hidden from support and have never engaged with Support on the topic of firmware.

Folks having further issues with trying to get the latest beta should contact Meraki Support.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Opened a case with Cisco and this is the message I received.

"There is currently a compatibility issue between MX and USB730L Verizon Modem and our engineering team is working on it. 14.7 firmware would not resolve it. We will let you know when the fix is available."

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Anyone get any updates on this?

I'm using USB730L's and some of my MX64's recognize it fine and go 'Ready'.  Others get stuck saying 'Connecting'.  I've verified service by plugging the aircard directly into my laptop next to the MX64 and all MX's are running the same, latest stable, firmware 12.26.

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Is Inseego out of business or something? I've tried calling this number and no one answers as well as sending email inquiries about purchasing the Skyus DS and getting zero response.

We bought several units.  They work as advertised but again are expensive, and the buying process wasn't  that great.

My advice would be to sit tight and wait in regards to this entire topic - I have upcoming announcements around backup internet service that my company will be offering (and maybe you can too).

In extremely critical dynamic (hi G-force) situations, I use Sierra Wireless devices. I avoid USB. Lesson learnt the hard way. They are there when I need them, the way USB so often isn't.

For home and professional office use, I am investigating less butch kit but it isn't significantly cheaper.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I worked with support on this a little yesterday.  I have USB730L's deployed to all of our MX's.  All of our MX's are at 12.26 and strangely some of them show 'Ready' and others just show 'Connecting'.  The Meraki tech I worked with grabbed some captures and worked with a Senior Engineer to identify and better support the USB730L.

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Quite possibly, USB does not have what is required to build reliable LTE connections.

That is my experience. For what it is worth.
Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Support is suspecting it us USB related on the MX it is working on some of my MX64's and not others.  I'm not optimistic but I'm going to swap out the MX via RMA with them to eliminate a variable.  Note:  I tried multiple activated USB730L to ensure it wasn't an aircard issue. 

Happiman
Building a reputation

I used to use cradlepoint IBR650 and now using Skyus DS. It's only half price w/o an annual cloud portal support. 

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Cradlepoint uses a WAN interface though right? The USB support on the MX doesn't use one of the WAN interfaces.  It's just for management and a connection of last resort. Meraki is working with engineering to get the bugs worked out with support for my USB device. 

@Adam,

You can use USB as your primary (only) WAN, but you will need to disconnect all ethernet WAN links.  

If you have a MX which will not use only the USB as primary WAN connect the MX to the internet temporary using ethernet WAN and ensure the MX checks in, then attach the USB ensure it goes ready, then  pull power from the MX, pull ethernet WAN and power up the MX with only USB WAN. 

MT
Here to help

We had horrible problems with the 730L - sporadic drops, sometimes for hours at a time, that we would not have with older Pantech USBs, etc.  Once the 730L became Verizons main modem, that was a drag.  We just couldn't use them, and now search Amazon and the like for ancient, overpriced Pantechs....because they work!  I opened cases with meraki support on this but they were stumped.  We are going to bring in some Feeneys to test out, but they of course are quite a bit more expensive, so some of our remote sites are not liking it.  Not to mention how much more expensive the Z3C Merakis are with built in cell.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels