VPN setting with non-meraki VPN hub and all MX spokes

play_trumpet
Comes here often

VPN setting with non-meraki VPN hub and all MX spokes

Hi all,

I'm considering VPN configuration with following topology.

Branch1(spoke/MX)------+     (    )

Branch2(spoke/MX)------+  (         )  + DC1(Hub/ASA)

Branch3(spoke/MX)------+ (Internet)

Branch4(spoke/MX)------+  (          ) + DC2(Hub/ASA)

Branch5(spoke/MX)------+     (    )

MXes on Branches only need to establish S2S VPN connection to DC1 and DC2.

i.e. No VPN connections between branches are required.

Now I've tried to configure non-meraki VPN peers while disabling auto-VPN feature by setting VPN Type to "Off". But non-meraki VPN setting menu appears only when I set the Type to "Hub(mesh)"...

* GUI Example1: When the type is set to "Off"...

off.png

* GUI Example2" When the type is set to "Hub"...

Hub.png

Is it expected result? 

Could anyone tell me how to configure S2S VPN sessions like the topology?

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is the expected behaviour.  Actually only one has to be in hub mode and the others in spoke mode however this will result in the branches having a VPN built between themsleves.

This is also a really hard way of doing this.  If you have less than 50 branches you could put a low cost MX64 or MX67 into each DC in one arm VPN concentrator mode, and use AutoVPN instead to solve this.  It would be a lot less work, and you would gain the benefits of SD-WAN, monitoring and visibility.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/VPN_Concentrator_Deployment_Guide 

Hi PhilipDAth

Thanks for the comment. But ASA is already installed at DC and working with other non-meraki branches. Is there no way to configure MX as spoke that they'll have VPN session only to ASAs in primary/secondary DC?

>Is there no way to configure MX as spoke that they'll have VPN session only to ASAs in primary/secondary DC?

No.  You can configure firewall rules to block spoke to spoke traffic.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Site-to-site_VPN_Firewall_Rule_Behavior 

Your experiencing this dilemna because your network design is not appropriate for the solution being deployed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels