VPN Connection error 718

KevinPlatte
Here to help

VPN Connection error 718

Getting the error "Connection was terminated because the remote computer did not respond in a timely manner" when trying to connect to VPN.

Windows error code 718: PPP timeout

This is happening on more then one firewall we use

Any ideas?

34 REPLIES 34
Scott_Newton
Here to help

I have several end-uses reporting the same error message when attempting to connect to VPN.

Something changed since yesterday afternoon.

BBu
Comes here often

I agree. I have the same issue suddenly appearing across Windows 10, Windows 11, and Android devices that used to work fine. "The error code returned on failure is 718."

ChadIT
New here

I have several users including myself that have been getting the same error for about an hour and a half.

KevinPlatte
Here to help

Just put in a case so hopefully a solution is found soon.

We also opened a case# and have been on hold with support for over an hour

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have multiple users also reporting this issue. Following this thread.

BenDC-Iconic
Conversationalist

We are seeing the same issue. Patched machines with KB5010793 and 718 error. In the logs, it looks like the client connects and disconnects. Been searching for answers and not finding any. Been on phone support hold for 33 minutes and counting.

BBu
Comes here often

I believe KB5010793 was a separate issue, which was resolved by Microsoft 3 days ago. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-21h2#2773msgdesc.

After I applied Microsoft's fix (KB5010795), Client VPN worked fine for me again. Then today, suddenly the "718 error" appears out of nowhere. Cannot connect from any OS.

BenDC-Iconic
Conversationalist

The original patch KB5009543 is what broke VPN. Depending your OS and version, you get a different KB. 795 is for Windows 11. Mine is what I posted above.

BBu
Comes here often

You're correct.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check windows Update and that you machine is up to date. Microsoft released an udpate recently that broke VPN connection but with a slightly different error, that was fixed a couple of days ago. 

To help with these issues in future I think it would be handy is people with VPN issues can mention what VPN client they are using i.e. built in or 3rd party. 

KevinPlatte
Here to help

I was just able to connect again along with other users. Maybe issue has been resolved....

BBu
Comes here often

I can too. Thanks to everyone on this thread.

Yep. We just started seeing connections working again.

Can now connect as well. What the heck happened...

Scott_Newton
Here to help

Seeing the same positive result with end-users being able to connect.

360IT
Here to help

Today I am not able to connect to any client networks via VPN. The error returned, is 718 with a message that the computer did not respond in a timely manner. 

Each client site has either an MX67 or MX68. All sites have been working fine until today. I am now beginning to receive service tickets from clients that cannot connect to their workplace networks. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue today?

Thanks in advance!

Yep, getting same error on my client. It's back 😞

Edit: working now...

Recheck. Just went down again after a couple of minutes uptime. Still on hold.

Some of my clients are reporting that the connection will succeed after 4-5 attempts, most are not able to connect at all. 

KevinPlatte
Here to help

Yeah having same issue here again also. hopefully Meraki resolves it soon.

ppardav
New here

Same issue here since one hour ago

LibVillageIT
New here

Also have a handful of clients down with this error today. No response from Meraki as of yet. Definitely a cloud auth issue as all AD/RADIUS sites work fine.

Thanks for verifying that AD/RADIUS is working, that helps to narrow it down for sure. 

LibVillageIT
New here

Just an update here. Got off the phone with Meraki. It's a known issue and they're aware of it. It's on their end and they "have all hands on deck" to resolve it. No ETA as of yet but we've asked to be updated if/when it starts working again.

Okay, at least we know where the issue stems, that is something at least. Thanks for passing the information on to the community. 

JMarion
New here

We are experiencing the same issue now. Multiple users from multiple offices/sites are unable to connect. Error 718 timing out. We use cloud authentication.

ppardav
New here

VPN issue solved

Same here. Was able to connect to VPN

I can verify the same as well for us.

VPN connection confirmed! 🙂

I can also confirmed today's issue is resolved,

So, we have also been experiencing the same error (718) over the last few weeks on a random basis that generally goes away in short order (retry or reboot, maybe not relevant).  Does anyone else see this and do we have a sence it this the same (or precursor) to today's issue and also addressed?

360IT
Here to help

As of three hours ago, I am receiving reports from clients that VPN is erroring with application event log error 718. Same as last week. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue today?

BrendanTWhite
New here

For posterity, in my case it was simply that the user forgot that they had set up MFA and didn't respond to the push notification on their phone. 😕 So the VPN eventually timed out. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels