Using MX in another Organization

Precision24
Here to help

Using MX in another Organization

While waiting on the line for tech support I thought I would ask in here to see if I can get an answer faster. 

Customer is having issues with VoiP and troubleshooting has led me to this idea. Can I take my working MX68w over to my customers office and install on their network for 3-4 days to test if the issue goes away? Customer is using an MX64 and I WILL NOT be leaving my device there. I simply want to eliminate the meraki device from the equation. 

Part 2; can I just change the lan settings from my network to their IP scheme and go with it for a few days? I don't want to go through the trouble of removing it from my organization and adding to theirs then back again after the test is over.

TIA

Tim

10 Replies 10
Precision24
Here to help

Thanks support was able to answer this question.

The issue is dropped calls on VoiP phones. 3 weeks ago we discovered a faulty modem. ISP replaced it and the issues continued, static in calls, dropped calls, no dial ability etc.

We have run a voice scout test from Intermedia and it showed all kinds of packet loss. 

Next we ran packet tests. Again, dropped packets 

Now I have the MX68w in place, pulling over 550mbps at the gateway, 400mbps on my laptop and still unable to stay on the phone for more than 20 seconds before call drops.

I just got off the phone with the ISP (spectrum) and they verified that the modem has been 100% fully operational for the last 11 days, ping tests are good and no packet loss showing on their end.

I connected a phone directly to the MX bypassing all switches ran a continuous ping test to the ip and tried to make a call and when I am able to get dialed out, which is seldom, the call drops in 20 seconds but the ping test never waivers.

I’m stumped!

Is there a Support case open?

Are you able to connect a phone directly behind the modem bypassing the MX to test? Is the phone service something internet based or going over a VPN tunnel back to a call server? I guess there's the other simple thing to try which is replace the cable from the modem to the MX.

Is the event log for the MX showing anything?

Try connecting a computer directly to the modem to test. Make sure that is solid. 

yes, you could take your MX over and plug it in. It sounds like even 15 min would be enough to see if that was the culprit. 

Check what DNS servers the phones are using. I know it sounds unlikely (and probably not the issue if there is packet loss anyway)…. But I recently fixed and issue kind of like this. Turns out the DNS being used wasn’t responding quickly enough and lookups were failing. 

Thanks for the reply. No I cannot connect behind the modem. Spectrum modem is a bridge mode only modem according to the tech I spoke with today. 

The phone service is internet based from Intermedia.

I have replaced the cable no difference.

Today I removed all network devices. I only have the modem connected to the meraki and a phone connected to the meraki. Still fails intermittently. Connected only the first switch to MX and it fails more frequent. Connected only the second switch fails the same. 

Spectrum is scheduled to arrive at 2:00 pm Monday. Going to ask if they can install a modem/router so I can bypass the mx completely. If that works I don't know what I'll do because I don't want their equipment as my firewall.

You can still connect directly even if it’s bridged. You just have to assign the static Ip to your computer. 

That is what I thought too and I should have just done it. I just misunderstood him because I asked him if he could take the modem out of bridge mode and he said no. I wasn't thinking about just giving the phone a static address. 

Oh well. We'll see what they come up with tomorrow.

I would start by directly connecting a computer to the modem. Make sure you have consistent speed test and ping results.  If so, then test the phone the same way. Work down from there until you find the culprit. 

All computers work fine on the network even with all the phone drops. Don't see any need to connect a pc only when we have zero issues with computers on the LAN.

Well spectrum tech swapped out the bridge modem with a modem/router, disabled SIP ALG and placed modem in Bridge mode and so far so good. I'll give it 24 hours and take my MX back.

fingers crossed!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels