Use remote connect function and get "Error connecting: Client or agent not found"

LL
Conversationalist

Use remote connect function and get "Error connecting: Client or agent not found"

We have four iMac in a network. I can remote connect to two of them. But the other two, I get "Error connecting: Client or agent not found" message. Tried to push "Meraki system management agent" to those two and reboot the firewall, but still have the same error. Any suggestions? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It sounds like the Systems Manager agent on the two iMacs itself doesn't have communication with Dashboard.

Curious, were you able to remote-connect to either or both of those iMacs previously, and now it's not working, or it never worked in the first place on those two?  And obviously the SM agent has been properly installed on those two iMacs?  Perhaps try reinstalling the SM agent and make sure the trust settings are allowed.  And you can confirm the agent is actually running on these two devices?  Perhaps you also tried un-enrolling and re-enrolling the devices into the SM network?

It could also sometimes be an upstream issue, if the devices for whatever reason cannot communicate with Dashboard.  Are they coming from a different VLAN or section of your network where something upstream could be blocking?  SM communications do need a handful of ports to be opened for agent communications, but that's usually only if your behind a restrictive outbound firewall.  You mentioned rebooting the FW, but also check the logs just to confirm if you're seeing the traffic from the agent on those iMacs getting permitted or denied.  

LL
Conversationalist

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for quick suggestions. For those two iMac, I can remote connecting to one but not the other one. And I just tested, I can remote to the first one now. So maybe the second one never works.

What is wired, when I go to "System management -->Manage --> App" --> "Meraki systems manager agent", the one I can't remote is the only one showed app installed and all others are uninstalled. 

And there is no connection log for this device. 

I may need to check how this iMac connect to the network.

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes, double check that and maybe go through the enrollment process a 2nd time, maybe uninstall the SM agent and re-install and re-enroll starting with the Systems Manager > Add Devices page and directions.  The mobile app should immediately if it is enrolled and if device administration is enabled.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels