Uplink traffic MX

TheAlchemist
Getting noticed

Uplink traffic MX

I see a lot of ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-region-compute.amazonaws.com  traffic on WAN ports pcap capture on MX appliances. Infact all Traffic on secondary WAN is from AWS. Any idea why this would be happening. I have no VPN tunnel setup with AWS or have any traffic coming from AWS instances.(pic attached)MX250-Traffic.png

9 REPLIES 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think you should open a support case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
TheAlchemist
Getting noticed

I was wondering could get some advice from the forum on probably some AWS Direct Connect connection or if anyone has seen this before. I think if you don't have an answer it's better to keep shut than advising to open a support case.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Is it terminating to anything on the LAN side? I notice a lot of hacking/scanning garbage from AWS in general so maybe just that? I would want to see a LAN side pcap to and from that AWS address to understand better. 

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If I'm reading the pcap correctly, all of the packets are sourced from a known port and designed for an ephemeral port. That would typically indicate that something in your LAN side initiated the connection. 

As @BrandonS  suggested, a LAN side capture might yield done better information.

LAN side did not show any AWS public ip.I am checking with AWS support and will update this thread.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

More than likely, Meraki is simply hosting part of its cloud infrastructure in Amazon AWS.

Thanks for the info so far, I did check with Meraki Support and was told the public IP mentioned was not used by Meraki in AWS. Will check with AWS support.

Checking with AWS it is identified that there are EC2 instances from some account which have theses ips.AWS cannot reveal the account holder or their location as per their policy. I have blocked the  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 public ip in layer 7 rules (ip range section) but still see traffic visible on WAN internet pcap capture on Meraki Dashboard. How else could I block "Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: ec2-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com from hitting our MX. We do not have advanced security features option.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TheAlchemist you cannot stop any internet traffic hitting your MX from the WAN side unless you use a cloud/ISP proxy or firewall.  Anyone in the world can try to send traffic to you.  Is your public IP one you have had for a while, or a new one?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels