Update Umbrella network with meraki

Solved
LuisS
Conversationalist

Update Umbrella network with meraki

Hi, I've been looking but can't find a place to automatically update the umbrella network by using the dynamic address of my mx, integration says I should do this at the bottom of the general page in my meraki network but I can't see the option

LuisS_0-1607731312183.png

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Umbrella integration is a newer feature, so you'll need to run 15.x firmware.  Check out this guide:

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Manually_Integrating_... 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Umbrella integration is a newer feature, so you'll need to run 15.x firmware.  Check out this guide:

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Manually_Integrating_... 

LuisS
Conversationalist

Thank you! Just one more question, will this integration update the dynamic public IP for my network in Umbrella?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe it calls Umbrella directly, so doesn't care about your IP address.

Correct. The integrated solution uses their API for communication.

If ist comes down to „only“ update some dynamic IP, just place a small Raspberry behind that MX and use DNSomatic.

Hi,

So, if I understand this correctly, the MX cannot act as a Dynamic IP Updater by itself, and it's IP is not shared via the API, to update the Umbrella's network address..

It's a bit of a shame..

Setting up a Raspberry is not a big deal, but still.. why do I need an extra device when the Meraki and Umbrella dashboards are already connected via APIs?

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Oh boy. Sorry, I'll have to correct myself here: MX is being added to Umbrella as a "Network Device" via API. Everything else is being handled by that, so there's no need to update any dynamic IP address.

Dynamically updating the IP address would only be needed if you're using your egress IP as "Network" object within Umbrella.

Oh, okay. This was not clear for me. I'm new to Umbrella and I was thinking in "OpenDNS Consumer" terms.

Thanks for the clarification.

LuisS
Conversationalist

Thank you!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels