URL Filter Wildcard

SOLVED
CotyMick
Getting noticed

URL Filter Wildcard

Hey All!

Is it necessary to use the * before the domain that I wish to block or whitelist? I read while setting up group policies that all I need to do is use the domain like "google.com" without the * - Does this also apply to URL Filter on the Firewall?

Thanks!

Mick~

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MacuserJim
A model citizen

In the L3 firewall rules you do not need to have the wild card, ie "google.com" would also allow (or deny depending on the scenario) "mail.google.com".

Another thing of note is using "*" in content filtering. When used alone it will act as a wild card for all URLs, but if used in a URL (ie "*.google.com") it will act as an asterisk character and NOT a wildcard.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MacuserJim
A model citizen

In the L3 firewall rules you do not need to have the wild card, ie "google.com" would also allow (or deny depending on the scenario) "mail.google.com".

Another thing of note is using "*" in content filtering. When used alone it will act as a wild card for all URLs, but if used in a URL (ie "*.google.com") it will act as an asterisk character and NOT a wildcard.

@MacuserJim Thanks!

CLEBERPENTEADO
Here to help

@MacuserJim this rule about "*" is valid in trailing way too?

rdominguez
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @CLEBERPENTEADO,
As @MacuserJim has already indicated, even in a trailing capacity, the asterisk '*' will not be used as a wildcard but as part of the URL itself. If you have any questions about the rules pertaining to the use of the asterisk in this capacity, you can find them in our documentation which I am including below.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/Content_Filtering#Using_...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels