Two vMX-M Deployment

Ark
Comes here often

Two vMX-M Deployment

We currently have 300+ tunnels on our network.

Tried to migrate to vMX-M from vMX-100 but unfortunately a lot of tunnels went down due to tunnels limitation imposed by vMX-M.

Since we are using Azure instance, we cannot migrate into vMX-L. As a workaround, Meraki rep suggested to deploy two vMX-M instead.

Has anyone experienced setting up this scenario?
How do we approach this kind of setup since the available guide on Meraki is only for one instance?

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The vMX-M should be the same spec as vMX100. I'm unclear on the tunnel comment.

Ark
Comes here often

This was our expectation too. But upon migrating from vMX-100, a lot of tunnel are down.

Opened a TAC support and they told us that vMX-M can only handle 250 tunnels unlike vMX-100 which is only limited by bandwidth.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/vMX_Comparison_Datasheet

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'm looking at multiple vMX-Ms with more than 250 tunnels. That said the tunnel count in the sizing guide is the max recommended. So, if you're exceeding that number it would be recommended to upsize or use multiple and distribute the spoke load.

Ark
Comes here often

Yes this is what we've come up as resolution with TAC. The problem is I have no experience on this kind of approach of multiple vMX since we were only using one previously. It would be great if there is a documentation for this kind of setup since the deployment guide available at Meraki is only for one vMX.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.