Transfer of services from physical to VM but locked to a dedicated IP address

lwalsh
New here

Transfer of services from physical to VM but locked to a dedicated IP address

Long story short - we have a physical server at one of our branches that performs a specific service. We'd like to transfer this service to a VM in our Azure cloud for better stability and performance. Each branch has a MX64 and MS120 with a mesh site-to-site VPN. All of the our other branches has a client that is configured specifically to the IP address of the server and if we were to change the IP address, it would require a hard reset and reconfiguration for each client at each branch (which we were advised to avoid if possible). It's not a computer, it's an actual hardware device, so it's not like we can just go in the IP configuration and change settings.

I did try to see if there was some way we could do a virtual IP load-balancing setup within the private network, where we can transfer the dedicated IP address as a virtual IP and redirect the traffic; but I don't seem to see a way to do that. 

Another option I did think of is to configure the VM:

1) With a client VPN to the branch but we're concerned about vpn timeouts leading to outages and instability or;

2) Install A vMX100 in Azure and connect it to our Meraki cloud, implement a new VLAN on the original network with the current IP addressing scheme, span that VLAN to the xVM100; then transfer the IP address from the old server to the new VM. But it's not cost-effective to get a vMX100 license for just 1 server.

I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar situation to this and what they did to complete the project. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm thinking you can't move the entire subnet that the server is in (which would be the easy option).  So assuming that is not the case ...

I would personally setup a DNS entry pointing to the server, and update all the remote sites to use the DNS entry.  Then it would be easy to change.

Another option would be to setup an HAProxy using the current server's IP address and have HAProxy forward the request to the Azure VM.  Then start slowly updating the sites to use the new Azure VM IP address.

This will allow the clients to use both the old and new IP address at the same time while you transition them across.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels