Traffic / VPN statistics

TBisel
Getting noticed

Traffic / VPN statistics

Is there any way to track the amount of time a device has been connected to Client VPN, or maybe even a timer on how long it has been connected to the network and maybe a breakdown by IP address? Just something that was asked of me on their way to a meeting so I don't have many more details to really go off of. Our dashboard is set to track via MAC address but even with that being said I am not sure where to even begin trying to think of a way to do this. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Client VPN users show up under Network-Wide / Clients,  but there is no time info. 

If you authenticate against radius or Active Directory then you can use their logs to establish when users log in.   Radius/NPS also gives you logout so you can calculate the length of time. 

I have ~130 Client VPN connects currently showing. The only MAC address I currently have is the wireless one of the device. Searching that I get nothing and looking over the Client VPN connections, seems like it might be a randomly generated MAC. What method would you recommend for determining how Meraki sees the device once connected via Client VPN? And to add to it, this particular user is on a very short sleep timer so I am getting domain authentication events like crazy, ~2-4 an hour.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Apart from what @PhilipDAth already said about the radius accounting... There are also client VPN log entries in Network-Wide > Event log under the security appliances events. There are events when a client connects and disconnects and when the SA is deleted. Maybe you can use that and calculate the duration from it.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a cleaner way atm. Do send in a Make a wish for it!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels