Templates Meraki - Possible conflict using same network

Solved
GabrielTravel
Comes here often

Templates Meraki - Possible conflict using same network

Hello guys, quick doubt.

If I configure two different network templates in the Meraki using the same network range. It should be a problem ? Could cause conflict ?

Template 1 

network /24 from 10.10.0.0/8

network /23 from 10.20.0.0/8

Template 2

network /24 from 10.10.0.0/8

network /23 from 10.20.0.0/8

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki has a mechanism to avoid possible network loops, but it is not recommended to have templates with the same IP range.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki has a mechanism to avoid possible network loops, but it is not recommended to have templates with the same IP range.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think what you'll find is that at the time you create the template, you won't be able to choose a subnet that is already allocated to another subnet or is overlapping.

You can request Meraki support to enable "relaxed IP addressing", and then it allows it, and it is up to you to make sure there are no overlaps.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Agree with the above info. I'll add that the validation checker Philip mentions kicks in when there are detected overlapping configured routes.

Example

Template A

- VLAN 1 a /24 from a 10.0.0.0/8

Template B

- VLAN 1 a /24 from a 10.0.0.0/8

Nothing is wrong there and dashboard allows the config as well as creates non overlapping child subnets. If however on a MX hub (concentrator mode) you had a local network (static route) for 10.0.0.0/8 that creates a conflict. In this case when you attempt to create the 10.0.0.0/8 template supernet it should stop you with the alert that no subnets are left.

Specifically the error is "Failed to auto-generate 1 unique subnet for VLAN '1': subnet pool '/24 from 10.0.0.0/8' has 0 subnets available."

If using BGP on the hub and not the "local networks" config the error doesn't occur.

As mentioned by another here it's best to design appropriately in the first place and not create overlaps. This also helps with the auto summarization that takes place in templates. So, if for example you had two templates using an approach like this for example.

Template A

- VLAN 1 a /24 from a 10.0.0.0/9

Template B

- VLAN 1 a /24 from a 10.128.0.0/9

This ensures no overlaps plus it allows auto summarization to take place when/where possible.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
GabrielTravel
Comes here often

Thanks so much guys. Appreciate

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels