Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teleworker template - unique addressing for each site

Highlighted
Here to help

Teleworker template - unique addressing for each site

Hi Everyone,

Tl;DR: how do i create a template for all Meraki Z1's in my organization that allows me to assign a specific /24 per device in the template?

I'm brand new to Meraki, and I'm trying to create a template that will allow me to use unique addressing for each teleworker gateway for identification purposes.  Each Z1 will be a spoke connecting to my MX64 as a hub.  I will have about 40 remote sites, and I would like to identify all sites with their own /24 within a /16, for example 10.111.0.0/16 would be any Meraki device, and 10.111.1.0/24 would be teleworker#1's house.  If I discover a device on the network that is 10.111.1.23 for example, i know that this is device is at teleworker#1's network.

I'm having a problem however with creating the template.  All devices in a template share the same local VLAN template.  I don't understand how this will work, as I'm assigning the Appliance IP in the dialogue, so wouldn't every device bound to the template have an IP conflict?

3 REPLIES 3
Kind of a big deal

Re: Teleworker template - unique addressing for each site

You may be able to override the template IP addressing on the specific network. Try creating a test MX network and applying your template to it. See if you are able to change the IP scope on the Addressing & VLAN's page. Templates allow you to override certain things locally, but I'm not familiar enough with MX templates to know what they allow or don't allow. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Meraki Employee

Hi @PentagonSystems,

Here you can find more information about how templates work and setup unique subnets for each network > https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Managing_Multiple...

Meraki Employee

I can confirm that assigning a specific subnet out of a template pool to a given site is doable if you'd like it; otherwise, you just specify the supernet you want individual sites to pull their subnets from, and the template will take care of the rest.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.