TFTP Server for macOS Catalina ?

MrBear
Here to help

TFTP Server for macOS Catalina ?

Hello,

I just purchased two Cisco 8841 VoIP phones to experiment with (to determine if I want to replace my current system with VoIP phones).  I am using a hosted service called Phone.com

My Meraki gear is: MX100, MS350 switches, Meraki WiFi-6 AP's

Even though I would eventually have a dozen or so Cisco 8841 VoIP phones, there would rarely be more than two people using the phone system at one time and those conversations are always less than 60-seconds.

I was reading some Meraki documentation, and it sounds like I need software running "TFTP Server" on a computer on my network. Most everything I've seen is for Windows PC's but I am all Mac here.

Typically, VoIP equipment will get a dynamic configuration from a TFTP server or other service on the network. This will commonly be levied by a DHCP server, where leases to VoIP endpoints will include voice-specific DHCP options. In the event that the phone fails to connect to the network/get a working configuration, consider the following recommended steps:

• If a separate voice VLAN is being used, ensure that phones are being put on the appropriate VLAN by means of an access port, voice VLAN configuration on the port, or even configured on the phone itself.
    • If this is being done, ensure that a DHCP server is up-and-running on that VLAN, and configured with the appropriate scope and options.
  • If phones have a working IP configuration on the network (or a static assignment is given for test purposes) and are told to get their VoIP configuration from some other server, ensure that the server is online and reachable from the voice VLAN.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/VoIP_on_Cisco_Mer...

Anyone have experience with this?

2 REPLIES 2
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Decades of experience with Cisco telephony here.  What PBX are the IP Phones registering to?

All you need are two VLANs. One for voice and one for data.  Configure your switch ports as access vlan (Data) and Voice vlan (Voice). Setup your dhcp scopes for each vlan as required. Dependant on your Telephony PBX you’ll be required to setup Options I.e for Cisco Callmanager that would be IP Option 150 which is the IP address of your Callmanagers running the tftp service.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Typically the phone system you are connecting to does the provisioning, as @DarrenOC  says.  You don't normally have to provide any on-site infrastructure for cloud telephony.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels