Site-to-site VPNs do not come up after service interruption

OneMoreQuestion
Conversationalist

Site-to-site VPNs do not come up after service interruption

Recently we've had a few Internet service interruptions unrelated to our firewall (ISP outage, etc) But our firewall failed to re-establish our two IPSec, site-so-site VPNs after the service came back up.

On our end is a Meraki MX84 firewall. One of the VPNs terminates at an Azure VNET gateway. The other terminates at a customer's Palo Alto device.

After the first service interruption, the VPNs hadn't come back up after 40 minutes. I unplugged the firewall power, and plugged it back in. The VPNs came up in less than 5 minutes.

The second service interruption caused a lot of grief for our owner. The VPNs hadn't come up in a few minutes. I didn't troubleshoot; I just unplugged the firewall power, and plugged it back in. Again, the VPNs came up in less than 5 minutes.

Questions:

Is this expected behavior?

If it's not, what do I do about it?

I see a lot of these messages in the event logs: "msg: request for establishing IPsec-SA was queued due to no phase1 found." Is this to be expected? And if not, what do I do about it?

Update

This happened again today, Jun 18. Meraki said the site-to-site VPNs were up this time (VPN status was green), but we had no communication over VPN to our Azure environment. I unplugged the firewall power, and plugged it back in. The VPNs came up in less than 5 minutes.

Azure registered a health event (inaccessible) for one Linux VM. (We have many VMs, mostly Windows.) That could possibly have something to do the the site-to-site Azure VPN.)

I'm crawling through the event logs again. It's slow going.

2 Replies 2
Network-dad
A model citizen

I had this happen to me last week... after several power cycles of the device I was finally able to get it to reconnect.. the reboot button didn't do it I had to have someone physically power cycle the MX. 

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out The Bearded I.T. Dad onThe Bearded I.T. DadThe Bearded I.T. Dad

In my case we have a Meraki MX (remote end) connecting to a 5545-X (HQ) and after an internet service outage the VPN did not re-estabilish although internet worked. Saw a lot of the "queued due to no phase1 found" errors in Event Log. I found that removing and re-adding the VPN on the remote end resolved the issue. I was dreading having to walk a user onsite through unplugging the MX!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels