Site to Site or MPLS

AlexanderDrago
Getting noticed

Site to Site or MPLS

Hello!

I have a question.

I have read about MPLS in Meraki and dont cleary understand.

Site to Site work without MPLS good, but what improvements give for us MPLS ?

As i see in Meraki configuring MPLS like routing and Site to Site create routes too

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki SD-WAN over MPLS can be done with guaranteed latency etc. and only needs enterprise license.  If you use internet circuits then you will have a more variable latency and it is advisable to have the protection that the advanced license gives you.

In the UK where you want a dedicated fibre circuit, they cost the same so the MPLS WAN option works out cheaper overall, with our provider the MPLS is L2 so the MXs actually see each other on the WAN ports, no hops in between.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Site to Site work without MPLS good, but what improvements give for us MPLS ?

As @cmr says, this is really dependent on your country.  In my country, no one uses MPLS for new networks anymore.  SD-WAN has killed it.

Depending on the service providers in your country, MPLS may offer:

• Different SLAs
  • Different guarantees of performance
  • Different types of access technology may vary at an address depending on the product being selected

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

One more benefit of using MPLS compared to internet transport:

If you need Multicast between your sites, it will be much more efficient with MPLS. But not all ISPs support Multicast with their offerings.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels