Site to Site VPN - SSH intermittently slow

Joe-Phillips
Here to help

Site to Site VPN - SSH intermittently slow

Hi All,

I'm wondering if somebody is able to give me any tips on how to rectify a problem we intermittently experience since switching over to a Meraki MX68 (from Juniper SSG series). 

We have have a 500/500 leased line with 2 X site to site VPNs from the Meraki MX to our data centers, which appear to operate correctly. I had an absolute nightmare setting them up and keeping them stable due to issues with NAT Traversal, but that's another story. At the moment the status is always a green button.

We spend a lot of time in SSH sessions to our servers over these site to site VPNs which intermittently becomes so slow to echo anything in the terminal rendering the session unusable. We can experiencing this issue with echoing characters in SSH anywhere from 10 mins to 3 hours. Dropping the site to site VPNs and letting them re-establish doesn't seem to make any difference and we didn't have this issue with our previous firewall.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to what the problem could be here, I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards

Joe

2 Replies 2
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Joe

I may be completely Wrong. 

How about other services except SSH. Do they work fine?

For a customer of mine the slowness was improved by tweaking the MTU values. 

How about using Netalyzr to verify this?

You may check the following Url for MTU troubleshooting.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_M...

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

DES and 3DES don't work so good in Meraki MX.  Are you using AES encryption algorithyms?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels