Setup MX Warm spare

tonysg
Comes here often

Setup MX Warm spare

Hi guys,

I got 2 internet links from a same ISP. Both links share a list of public LAN IPs. I got 2 MX100 which i would like to setup HA for both MXs.

Please take note that internet 1 is active and internet 2 is passive. Router 1 and 2 are on BGP that is configured by the ISP.

I attached a network diagram on the setup that we would like to have. As per our ISP, we can assign public LAN IPs from our pool to both routers LAN port 1 & 2 and MX internet port and Port 2

Questions:

1. When i add a warm spare, what uplink IP option should i use?

2. For question 1 and If  i use virtual IP, can i use one of the public LAN IP? What is the WAN  1 Shared IP and WAN 2 Shared IP?

3. If MX1 currently connected to 3 Meraki switches, do i need connect the 3 switches to MX2 as well?

MerakiMX_HA.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are the ISP router lan ports in the same subnet ?

Hi Philip,

The WAN IP for ISP portion and the CPE device(the router provided by the ISP) are on /30.

Internet 1 with 2 IP of 138.201.81.251 and 138.201.81.252

Internet 2 with 2 IP of 138.201.81.241 and 138.201.81.242

The pool of public LAN IPs(provided by the ISP) are on /28 starting from 138.201.78.128 - 143 and these IPs are tagged to Internet 1 & 2.

The public LAN IP are in same subnet for R1/R2 Port 1 & 2 and MX  as well.  My apologies if my explanation is too confusing

** Ignore the 1st diagram in my first post. I uploaded the correct diagram in this post **

20180719 - MerakiMX_HA.jpg

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It sounds like Router1 and Router2 LAN ports should be in the same layer 2 domain then.  If the routers have a switch module you may be able to just plug them directly into each other. Internet1 on each MX would then plug into their respective router.

Otherwise you are going to need to provide a switch to accomplish this.  Each router's LAN port should plug into the switch, and only Internet1 on each MX should then be plugged into this switch (along with the two router LAN ports).

Hi Philip,

Thank you for your reply. For now, what i know is that my ISP will provide Cisco ISR4321 router. I unsure if the router comes with NIM-ES2-8 module  (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-is...).

I need to check with my ISP. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If it doesn't come with a switch module then you are going to need to supply a switch.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels