Secondary WAN IP Question using private IP

SOLVED
tantony
Head in the Cloud

Secondary WAN IP Question using private IP

I have two WAN connection to the MX68.  WAN 1 i s Comcast cable, and WAN 2 is the slower DSL type connection.

When I go to look up my public IP, it's showing the slower DLS Verizon connection.  How can I change this?

I only want the slower connection to take over when the primary fails.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That is correct

WAN 1 goes down, WAN 2 auto kicks in.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

You can set which is primary under the Security > Configure > Traffic Shaping page. There's a drop down to specify WAN1 or WAN2.

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Thanks, I just saw that.  I have my WAN 1 as the primary uplink, and I have load balancing enabled.  My public keeps changing from Comcast and Verizon.  The websites are loading slow.  Should I turn off load balancing?  

Turn off loadbalancing. that slower DSL sounds like the purpose is for redundancy.

I would only use load-balance if you have two good/fast pipes
TwitterLinkedIn

Yes, the DSL is only for redundancy.  If I turn off load balancing, if the primary fails, secondary will still take over automatically correct?

That is correct

WAN 1 goes down, WAN 2 auto kicks in.
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring wrote:
Turn off loadbalancing. that slower DSL sounds like the purpose is for redundancy.

I would only use load-balance if you have two good/fast pipes

And to add to that, if you're going to use load balancing then you really should make sure the bandwidth settings for the links are set correct at the top of the Trafic Shaping page. This way traffic is balanced proportionally to the bandwidth available for each link.

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Thank you both.  My first time using WAN 2.  Good to have a back up.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels