SOHO MX for DHCP only?

Solved
Gjzawada86
New here

SOHO MX for DHCP only?

Hi all, looking to get around a throughput issue without replacing our MX all together.  I have an MX64 for my home office (I own it, not my company), and we're severely bottlenecked by the firewall throughput (gig fiber coming into building, but MX64 capped at 250mbps).  The rest of our gear is an MS120, and some various 3rd party stuff in storage.  Is there a way I can use the MX for DHCP assignment, but not have it as our primary uplink?  Right now its ISP > MX > MS> MR AP, is it doable to plug the MX into the switch instead? I'm assuming I could set up a DHCP server on my desktop if needed, but was trying to go the simple route first.

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is possible to use an non-inline MX as your DHCP server, you simply need to give it an IP address on each of the VLANs you want it to give out addresses for.  You will also need to add a custom DHCP option for the gateway as by default it gives out itself.  The custom option number is 3.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is possible to use an non-inline MX as your DHCP server, you simply need to give it an IP address on each of the VLANs you want it to give out addresses for.  You will also need to add a custom DHCP option for the gateway as by default it gives out itself.  The custom option number is 3.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels