Roll-back from Moving decice to another organization

Solved
MauroF
Here to help

Roll-back from Moving decice to another organization

i all,

im planinng to move my MX to another organization. In a roll-back scenario ca i just unclaim the new MX from the NEW org and claim it back to the OLD keeping all the previous configuration?`Im afraid that during the first movin, meraki woudl delete all my MX configuration (Vlan,static route,Client IPsec etc).

Any experience with that?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution
Josh-S
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey MauroF,

To give some clarification on this, the configuration of your device is stored on the dashboard. Hence when you remove your MX from your dashboard network, the configuration is retained on the dashboard itself. If you add the MX back to the same network or add another MX into the same network, the stored configuration will be applied to that device.

When moving devices across organisations, it is important to note that the configuration is NOT transferrable. However, you may temporarily experience some old configuration on the moved device.

For example, if you have your MX in a Network A in Org A, and you remove it from Network A and unclaim it from Org A, then claim it into Org B and add it to Network B, the device should pick up the configuration of Network B. Yet, in some circumstances the device may locally retain the old configuration settings from Network A, hence a hard reset (holding the physical reset button for 30 seconds) should resolve this.

If at any point you wish to move the device back to Network A in Org A, you can do so at any point and once done the device should pick up the configuration of Network A. Again, in some circumstances the device may locally retain the old configuration settings from Network B, hence a hard reset (holding the physical reset button for 30 seconds) should resolve this.

Hope that helps!

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can move from one organization to another without any problems (usually you need to wait about 10 minutes before claining again).

However, the MX will assume the network settings it is added to the organization.

The configured WAN IP will be kept configured.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

What im interested the most here is that if i move from A to B  and then rolingback from B to A it keeps the configuration pre-activity in the A org

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nope.  Removing an MX from and moving it to a new organization will wipe out the existing configuration on the MX.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Are yous sure? im testing in my lab this thing and it keep all configurations.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, I am. The device will reboot and lose settings.

i just did it right now.

- Remove appliance from network on org A

- organization ---> Inventory  o org B and add the MX on the new Network.

-rollback removing MX from network in org B

- organization ---> Inventory  o org A and add the MX on the old Network.

under Addressing & VLANs i still have the old vlans configured.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not talking about the settings on the dashboard, these will be maintained on the dashboard. What I'm saying is that the device just won't keep the local settings.

"the device just won't change the settings." what do you mean with that? My question was about keeping the configuration of Vlan/static route/ipsec admin/Guest in case of roll-back. can you elaborate on what you said? I appreciate the effort to help me mate 🙂

MauroF
Here to help

I probably understood what you mean.. You are saying that if i move from A to B...  in B the configuration will be empty. Thats ok,i knew that but thanks fro telling me again.

I already configured the B organization with the same configuration i have in the MX in the Org_A so moving from A to B and B to A would be kinda transparent

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, if both organizations have the same settings it will be transparent.

What is configured in the dashboard is kept configured unless you manually remove it.

What I was referring to is the MX itself, when you remove it from the organization it will wipe the settings and assume the settings of the new organization/network.

Josh-S
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey MauroF,

To give some clarification on this, the configuration of your device is stored on the dashboard. Hence when you remove your MX from your dashboard network, the configuration is retained on the dashboard itself. If you add the MX back to the same network or add another MX into the same network, the stored configuration will be applied to that device.

When moving devices across organisations, it is important to note that the configuration is NOT transferrable. However, you may temporarily experience some old configuration on the moved device.

For example, if you have your MX in a Network A in Org A, and you remove it from Network A and unclaim it from Org A, then claim it into Org B and add it to Network B, the device should pick up the configuration of Network B. Yet, in some circumstances the device may locally retain the old configuration settings from Network A, hence a hard reset (holding the physical reset button for 30 seconds) should resolve this.

If at any point you wish to move the device back to Network A in Org A, you can do so at any point and once done the device should pick up the configuration of Network A. Again, in some circumstances the device may locally retain the old configuration settings from Network B, hence a hard reset (holding the physical reset button for 30 seconds) should resolve this.

Hope that helps!

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

Best exclamation i could get! Thanks very much for your help and your time.Everything is clear now.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels