Receiving a dhcp from windows server for a new vlan on an MX

Announcer
Getting noticed

Receiving a dhcp from windows server for a new vlan on an MX

The main vlan10 is getting dhcp from my windows server 192.168.100.0/24. (Meraki option: do not respond to dhcp requests).  I have made a new dhcp scope on my windows dhcp server, say 192.168.150.0.24.  On the new vlan in Meraki - vlan20- would I put the option: relay dhcp to another server? (the windows dhcp server is  192.168.100.5)  How will the workstations on vlan20 know which ip range to grab from the windows server?

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just configure the DHCP relay pointing to your Windows IP and everything will work fine.

For more details consult the documentation.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/DHCP/Configuring_DHCP_Relay

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thankyou, but what will prevent the client from receiving a .100 address (main scope)  and not a .150 address (new scope)?  I guess it gets it from the vlan interface IP when I created the vlan in the MX?

Tagging the correct VLAN on the switch port where the client is connected or on the SSID in the case of WiFi. Very simple. 😉

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

It would be interesting for you to read the documentation and understand what a broadcast domain is.

When the switch forwards a DHCP packet it includes the layer 3 interface IP address where the original DHCP packet was received.  This lets the DHCP server know which subnet it came from.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels