Quick way to find bandwidth hogs

SOLVED
JordanNolan
Here to help

Quick way to find bandwidth hogs

Trying to find the quickest way to locate a bandwidth hog in real time going through the MX100.  Sometimes I see in Appliance Status -> Uplink I am hitting 125 MB of my 200 MB connection.  Checking the total MB for the clients for the past 2 hours is not very helpful because I am seeing file server and database traffic to an from clients over the switches as well.  

I just want to see how much is going through the MX in the last few minutes and the break down of who is doing it.  I would like to avoid having to download packet captures and counting the bytes if I can.  Something I can do right in the interface would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With only an MX there is no quicker way.

I use the packet capture approach with Wireshark.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With only an MX there is no quicker way.

I use the packet capture approach with Wireshark.

That stinks.  😞

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

@JordanNolan wrote:

Trying to find the quickest way to locate a bandwidth hog in real time going through the MX100.  Sometimes I see in Appliance Status -> Uplink I am hitting 125 MB of my 200 MB connection.  Checking the total MB for the clients for the past 2 hours is not very helpful because I am seeing file server and database traffic to an from clients over the switches as well.  

I just want to see how much is going through the MX in the last few minutes and the break down of who is doing it.  I would like to avoid having to download packet captures and counting the bytes if I can.  Something I can do right in the interface would be great.

If you feel like messing around with the Meraki API, you might find som inspiration here; https://github.com/meraki/automation-scripts/tree/master/topusers

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

@rhbirkelund would it be possible to provide a guide for a newbie so he can do this? 

Weggy
Conversationalist

Hi @Weggy ,

When it comes to Netflow I am a newbie if there is any guide that you can provide or refer me to something, please do so. It's highly appreciated. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels