Question regarding Layer 3 firewall setting and a remote connection

AlexTauer
Here to help

Question regarding Layer 3 firewall setting and a remote connection

Hey guys and gals,

I did some browsing before deciding to post, as I couldn't find an answer that helped me any.

I have a camera security system, running on the network behind my firewall (MX84).  I can access the IP addy of the DVR from any PC that is connected to our internal network, without a problem.  I was recently tasked with getting the owner of this location remote access to the DVR.

Now, obviously I should be able to go into the MX device and add an inbound layer 3 rule that basically states to allow any external IP access to the IP and port # for the DVR.  I have done this, but I still cannot get to the login page for the DVR.  My DVR is configured to use port 82, and I believe that I have it configured properly (see attached).  I know that the xxxx should be an IP, but I don't wanna post it for security reasons.

Can anyone possibly show me where I have messed up (if I have messed up)?

settings.PNG

2 Replies 2
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi Alex,

You'll need a Port Forward as well to make this work.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/NAT_and_Port_Forwarding/Port_Forwarding_and_NAT_Rules_on_the_M...

If you can avoid it don't use "any" in the inbound rules or the port forwards. Be as specific as you can (although "allowed remote IP's" will likely have to be Any).

Thanks.  I figured that there was something else that I was missing.  I'll give that a shot.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels