Public DNS records pointing to Loopback IP blocked (e.g. Intel Driver Support Assistant)

DataBitz
Conversationalist

Public DNS records pointing to Loopback IP blocked (e.g. Intel Driver Support Assistant)

Intel have released a new driver update checking tool which relies on running a service locally on your Windows machine and then connecting to it from your browser by resolving dsalocal.intel.com.

dsalocal.intel.com is a public DNS record which resolves to 127.0.0.1 normally

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

The problem that I'm seeing, is that for users behind a Meraki MX64 (that's all I've tested with) the name dsalocal.intel.com is not resolvable - when they have the default configuration of using the Meraki for DNS resolution.

As a workaround they can point their DNS client directly to Google (8.8.8.8) and the name is resolvable and the Intel tool works.

After testing I found some other public DNS records which point to the loopback IP 127.0.0.1 and these also don't resolve behind the Meraki. I've also tried whitelisting the clients and these names also do not resolve.

Presumably these public DNS records pointing to loopback IP's are being blocked for security reasons, so is there a way to disable this DNS blocking globally or disable it for certain domains?

Has anyone else encountered this problem with other Meraki security appliances?

1 Reply 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why not just point you browser to localhost and forget about using Intel's magic domain name?

I don't know why Intel didn't do this in the first place.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels