Prepaid SIM in an MX67CW?

Ihatemerakis
Here to help

Prepaid SIM in an MX67CW?

I recently sent out an MX67CW to stand up a location, but ISP probably can't make it out to install their equipment for another week. People are getting impatient there and it looks like we'll have to do LTE for maybe a week or less in the meantime.

We have a number of MX's on LTE all over the place, but I've never run one off a prepaid SIM and was wondering what people's experience was doing. I know the MX itself doesn't care, but has anyone been able to tie the ISMI of the SIM to the IMEI using a prepaid to get full bandwidth. I've always had to do this is the past and am not sure we are going to be able to get anything other than 800kbps down on this thing.

1 Reply 1
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You will need to line up the mobile data connection for that MX via wired uplink, beforehand.   It's not possible to do ZTP via LTE connection only.

The modem in that MX supports up to 300 Mbps, I believe, with the very best of coverage etc.    In practise the chances are you may not get that, but I gather the limiting factor is often the capability / flexibility of the carrier's infrastructure to support all the relevant standards.

If you need VPN to work, this can be limited/prevented by carrier grade NAT implemented on the carrier's network;   a SIM designed for a data-specific plan is usually the best approach.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels