Possible to use existing WLAN as WAN Uplink?

Solved
seroal22
Here to help

Possible to use existing WLAN as WAN Uplink?

Hi there,

in relation to this thread: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/Uplink-MX-to-WIFI/m-p/150928

Is it still not possible to use an existing wireless network as an uplink on a Z3/4 or MX xx Device?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not natively no.

As mentioned in that thread, a device that does wireless to wired and plugs into the Z/MX WAN port could in theory work but I wouldn't go for that option in a production network.

If you can't use a wired ethernet network, i would suggest using a cellular device that supports LAN clients and connecting the LAN port on that device to the WAN port of the Z/MX. You could use something like the Netgear LM1200 for a Z series device on the go.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not natively no.

As mentioned in that thread, a device that does wireless to wired and plugs into the Z/MX WAN port could in theory work but I wouldn't go for that option in a production network.

If you can't use a wired ethernet network, i would suggest using a cellular device that supports LAN clients and connecting the LAN port on that device to the WAN port of the Z/MX. You could use something like the Netgear LM1200 for a Z series device on the go.

Thanks for this fast reply!

CDTC
Conversationalist

I would like this option as well. Some of my Z4 users are disconnecting their cables everynight to "tidy up" and need constant cable replacements. WiFi as WAN (bridged wifi) would be wonderful 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels