No power to IP Phone 7940 on Z3

Solved
JackK
Conversationalist

No power to IP Phone 7940 on Z3

We are testing the Z3 as a small branch office setup.  In testing IP Phone connectivity, when a Cisco IP Phone 7940 is connected to switch port #5, the phone does not receive power.  However, if a Cisco 8845 is connected, it does power up.  Has anyone run into this situation or knows of a solution, please let me know.  I have not connected locally to the appliance and poked around yet.  Perhaps, the PoE version on the 7940 is not compatible with the version on the Z3.

1 Accepted Solution
JackK
Conversationalist

I did not try a power injector, however, connecting to a Cisco Catalyst 3560 works fine.  Also, a newer 8845 phone does negotiate power and powers up when connected to the Z3.  As PhilipDAth mentioned, this most likely due to the Z3 not supporting the pre-standard Cisco proprietary PoE that is on the 7940.

Thanks for the response.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
FM
Here to help

Hey, @JackK!

Did you check if the phone powers up with a power injector?

JackK
Conversationalist

I did not try a power injector, however, connecting to a Cisco Catalyst 3560 works fine.  Also, a newer 8845 phone does negotiate power and powers up when connected to the Z3.  As PhilipDAth mentioned, this most likely due to the Z3 not supporting the pre-standard Cisco proprietary PoE that is on the 7940.

Thanks for the response.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm going to guess the Z3 only supports standard PoE negotiation.

A 7940 does not support standard PoE negotiation, only the Cisco proprietary pre-standard method (a 7940 is a very old phone ...).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels