New 15.x firmware

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

New 15.x firmware

15.24 and 15.25 no longer mention the MX84 suffering packet loss after reconfiguration, however it is now mentioned that MX67/68 may do...:

8 Replies 8
Banfield75
Getting noticed

Will this be the final 15.x “Beta” version?Is it good enough so that customers will move from 14.x to 15.x? No, I don’t think so. So tired of yet another beta with few fixes. Speed up the adoption, specific in the beta which “old” product is “safe” to upgrade, because the same fixes exist in the new version. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We've been using the 15.x train for over six months for our UK WAN and customer internet edge. We haven't had any unexpected issues across 9 sites, thousands of users and ~25 MXs.

Big caveats:

We don't use the advanced license features

We don't use cellular or Wi-Fi models

We don't use BGP/OSPF in production

We have MX64,65,67,84,100&250 models.

Banfield75
Getting noticed

Yes.... maybe at your sites 😀 But a firmware that don´t move from Beta to Stable release candidate tells us that it´s lack of system that have upgraded. Why? The big question is how to get an faster and wider adoption?
I believe that better information will speed up the adoption. Example... This Beta 15.x is equal with 14.x when it comes to fixes for the following products  xx,xx,xx.... So it "safe" to upgrade as long you don´t use these network features. 

Have you read https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Meraki_Firmware_Release_P...

Especially this part:

“The latest beta firmware is fully supported by our Support and Engineering teams. Older betas are supported with best effort; an upgrade to the latest beta will ensure full support.“

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

I had to use Beta version about a week ago in order to get a client up to PCI compliance.

My point is how could we/Meraki speed up the span of deployed sites? Customers don´t have time to upgrade now and then beta versions, even if it is supported. I believe the majority of customers consider upgrading when the software hits "Stable Release candidate".

Look in to this..... 

Stable: When Meraki's install-base hit a specified threshold for a major version (roughly 10-20% of nodes), that firmware revision will be promoted to GA"

This means firmware 15.x haven't reached 10-20% of the installations?

I thought it was less about time and more that its always been convention never to use anything that is beta or release candidate in a production environment.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki don't use beta and release candidate in the same way as other vendors.  They simply mean that it hasn't been rolled out to more than a certain percentage of users.

It is something like:

<10% of major version deployed leads to beta

<10% of minor version deployed, but >10% major version deployed leads to release candidate.

i.e. Stable MR is 26.6, new MR 26.7 comes out, it will be RC, new MR 27.3 comes out, it will be Beta

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels