Network client list does not match mx arp table

Solved
RichPekarsky
Here to help

Network client list does not match mx arp table

When we do site upgrades, one of the things we do is export the network client lists in order to ensure all devices are moved over correctly.  However, we just ran into an issue where the device was not in the client list BUT WAS in the arp table.

Does anyone know why these two repositories do not match?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi ,

Clients must generate some kind of traffic to be listed in the network-wide clients page. There used to be a documentation page about that , but I can't find it.  It used to state that it must send 'web traffic' or something like that. Intra-vlan traffic wasn't enough to map the client.

The ARP table however is essential. It should always be valid and containing the clients of that broadcast domain.

Edit : I was typing this while @Brash had already found the documentation. 🙂 I'm a slow typer haha

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The client list is populated by devices that have sent internet destined traffic that exits the WAN port.

A client will only appear in the list once it has passed Internet traffic. If a device, such as a LAN printer, does not pass any Internet traffic, then it will not appear in the list.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Clients_Usage_Page_Ov...

I've also occasionally seen small delays in clients showing up in the list (1-2mins) after coming online.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi ,

Clients must generate some kind of traffic to be listed in the network-wide clients page. There used to be a documentation page about that , but I can't find it.  It used to state that it must send 'web traffic' or something like that. Intra-vlan traffic wasn't enough to map the client.

The ARP table however is essential. It should always be valid and containing the clients of that broadcast domain.

Edit : I was typing this while @Brash had already found the documentation. 🙂 I'm a slow typer haha

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels