Need some help with my network setup and configuration

Tmidi
Conversationalist

Need some help with my network setup and configuration

I recently received my MX64 after attending a Webinar at the recommendation of a realtor friend. I have gotten the MX setup on my network , but I am having some difficulties configuring some of the features that to me makes this thing awesome. Here is my current setup: MODEM<----> MX64 <----> Netgear Router<----> All my network devices.  I am able to see in my Dashboard Clients  my router and some traffic data, but I am not able to see any of the devices that I have on my netgear network.

Given that I want to continue using my netgear router during this time do I need to manually add  all my devices? would doing so allow me to better see and understand what  traffic is on my network/ who is connecting and where are they going?  I have been watching a learning from some of the CISCO video as well as Youtube channel  The IT Way, but unfortunately he does not cover this part in his tutorials.

Anyone able to point me in the correct direction?

10 REPLIES 10
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is because you netgear router is using nat. That means all your IP/devices are translated to the WAN IP of the netgear router.

If you want more info on the clients you should use the meraki in routed mode. And use the netgear in some kind of bridge or Access-point mode.

Tmidi
Conversationalist

So your advice is to use the MX64 as my router and the Netgear as a wireless Access Point  or bridge. Would I still be able to maintain the SSID's that I currently have on my netgear? What I am trying to mitigate is having to reconnect all my devices.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Out-of-the-box the MX will generally use MAC addresses to track clients, so if your Netgear router is doing any Layer 3 then these will all be lost when the traffic is ‘routed’, and you’ll just end up with the MAC address of the Netgear. So long as there is no NAT on the Netgear then you could switch to using IP address to track clients, but this has its limitations too (e.g. if the IP address changes).

What you may want to try and do - although I’m not sure if you can - is try and turn the Netgear into just a switch, so all your VLANs are created, and routed only on the MX, that may get you the visibility you are looking for.

DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

You should be able to convert the Netgear to.a switch by plugging the uplink cable from the MX into any port of the Netgear except the WAN port.

If you want to use the WAN port as the uplink, you will need to turn the Netgear into passthrough mode.

Dave Anderson
Tmidi
Conversationalist

Your approach appears to be the least cumbersome. Would I need to change any settings on my router to enable the router to become a switch. I assume that in order to make this function I would need to create a network on my MX64 , is that correct? Could I set that up solely as wired ?

DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

You would need to setup the MX64 with the same DHCP settings as the Netgear.

The SSIDs would be stay the same so there would be no change to the Netgear or to client devices.

Client devices would connect to the Netgear wireless and get their IP Addresses from the MX64.

You can setup this all wired and use the ports on both the MX and the Netgear.

Dave Anderson
Tmidi
Conversationalist

@DHAnderson 

I have been out of contact for the last few days, but Now I am back. Would I need to use a uplink cable between the mx64 and the router as you mentioned previously or can I just use a standard Ethernet cable?

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Assuming you’re talking about whether it’s a standard or crossover Ethernet cable. I can’t remember the las time I specifically used a crossover cable. Most ports now (including, I believe all the Meraki MX devices) have Auto MDIX ports, so they should automatically detect whether they need to crossover, and do it themselves.

Tmidi
Conversationalist

@Bruce  Thanks for replying. I was referencing the advice that @DHAnderson  had shared earlier in this thread about using the uplink cable and turning my netgear router into a switch/wireless AP. Given that I run my business from home I am trying to make sure that before I pull the trigger on my network that I have all the right stuff in place.

DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

You should be able to use and network cable from the MX to the Netgear.

I use a color system, where primary cables from providers to the firewall are orange, uplink cables are yellow, data blue.

Dave Anderson
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels