We using MX64W and MX67W in our branches, with SSID1 setup as guest WiFi. Now when we are enabling SSID2, in some branches we found the devices are able to see the SSID1, but not SSID2. My questions are:
1) Are the WiFi signal strength equal between those enabled SSIDs?
The broadcasting for ALL of the SSID's from the device are sent out from the same device, same power, same antenna.
The only differences that you have control over are the bands that the SSID is using (2.4GHz or 5GHz or both), and the mandatory data rate that the beacon management frames are sent at (which I recommend using 12Mbps so that it kills off 802.11b, unless you still need to support 802.11b, then leave it at 1Mbps).
Thanks @NolanHerring. That was how I understood it since it is from the same device. However, that is not what I observed. In some of our branches, some devices are able to see SSID1, but not SSID2. I even opened the ticket about it and it didn't go anywhere. So I played around with it, and here is what I found.
1) I changed the channels from Auto to some static channels, sometimes it works. But it stopped working again after one or two weeks.
2) If I disable SSID1, and keep SSID2 enabled, the devices are still not able to see SSID2.
3) If I swap the configuration of SSID1 and SSID2, the device is able to connect SSID1 regardless SSID2 is enabled or disabled.
This tells me SSIDs in MX are not equal. It seems SSID1 has a stronger signal than SSID2. I haven't tested with other SSID#, but this is what I observed so far.
This is 14.39 on both of the MX60W and MX64W I just tried. I ran into this on a 67W too, but forgot which location I put it in since it was a couple of weeks ago before the new year, will need to look for it.
It could be a bug. That is why I am checking to see if anyone else out there has similar experience.
I do not see where to set the bitrate neither, so it is the default settings, and we are not using band steering neither.
The devices we have are Windows 10, but at one point I did ask a branch user to use her smartphone, and she was seeing the same symptom of being able to see SSID1, but not SSID2. I didn't check if it is Android, or iOS, but definitely not Windows 🙂
It seems it needs to meet certain conditions before you are able to see this issue.
I will see if I can manually reproduce it in my office.
Whatever the date rate is, it is the default setting. I do not see the option to change it.
I leave the channels settings at the default of auto for both 2.4 and 5Ghz. We have two devices in each of those branches, and all of them behave the same way. I even asked the branch user to use their smartphone to check the wifi, and they were not able to see the SSID2, but were able to see SSID1. I thought it only happens to this one branch, but now as our project goes on, we are seeing more and more branches are having this issue.
This symptom only happens to some of our branches, which probably needs to meet certain condiction. But regardless, it is telling me the not all SSID in an MX equal.