Multiple VPN Concentrators?

Comissha
Conversationalist

Multiple VPN Concentrators?

We currently have three unused MX84's and are maxing out our current throughput of our existing MX84. We are adding a couple extra small remote offices that will have MX65's. I am anticipating being able to upgrade to an MX100, but leadership has plans for aggressive expansion and I am not quite ready to upgrade to MX250. I was wondering if it were possible to use one or more of the MX84's as another VPN concentrator that the new offices could use for the AutoVPN and still access the same local DC resources?...Similar to this:

mx84addon.JPGOur current setup is like above, but with the MX84 only.

I would assume we would need the additional WAN IP (we have a dozen or so free), but not sure if necessary. I apologize for the noob question, but not completely familiar with Meraki's VPN limitations yet.

1. Is it possible to stack additional MX Concentrators for individual groups of remote office connections Site-to-Site?

2. If possible does it require another WAN ip to be used or can they all use the same public IP?

3. Is there a limit to using different hardware, i.e. MX100 and MX84?

These will all be under one organization, but seperate networks, of course.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes you can do that.  Aaron Willette has written a good blog on doing this kind of configuration.  Note that each MX needs a licence to do this, as it is active/active and not warm spare.

https://www.willette.works/active-active-meraki-sd-wan-headends/

You can use the same single WAN IP at the DC.  Each concentrator will use a different udp port.

Do note that you are making the complexity go up a lot.  I'd prefer a single active MX at the DC if at all possible.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels