Moving License from one Device to another Device in one Organization

SOLVED
Noffal
Getting noticed

Moving License from one Device to another Device in one Organization

Hi,

I have a question about moving a license. I have 1 Meraki MX64 with enterprise license which used and plan to buy one more for backup unit and it will use if the first Meraki broken. How can I move the license from the first Meraki to the Backup unit or Should I buy an enterprise license for the backup unit? I couldn't found docs about it.

Any answer will be appreciated!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
General-Zod
Getting noticed

Hi @Noffal 

Licenses are applied to Orgs not devices. 

If you purchased another MX64 to use in the event of a failure you could simply have the device sitting in the inventory (not assigned to a Network). If the time comes you can simply remove the faulty MX from the network and add the new one from inventory to the network in question.

On a side note, if you going to the expense of purchasing another MX for business continuity why not create a HA pair (2 x MX64 - Active-Passive). One of the good things if you go down this path is that you don't need another license. Only 1 ENT or ADV license is required for MX HA setup. You'll need to be able to span some vlans/ports on a switch to cater for the connections but at least you will have automatic redundancy.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
General-Zod
Getting noticed

Hi @Noffal 

Licenses are applied to Orgs not devices. 

If you purchased another MX64 to use in the event of a failure you could simply have the device sitting in the inventory (not assigned to a Network). If the time comes you can simply remove the faulty MX from the network and add the new one from inventory to the network in question.

On a side note, if you going to the expense of purchasing another MX for business continuity why not create a HA pair (2 x MX64 - Active-Passive). One of the good things if you go down this path is that you don't need another license. Only 1 ENT or ADV license is required for MX HA setup. You'll need to be able to span some vlans/ports on a switch to cater for the connections but at least you will have automatic redundancy.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

Hope this helps

Hi,

Answer:

Did you mean I have to only add the new device to inventory (and the status will be unused)? Whether the new license is counted if new device add to the network? not only claimed to organization?

Thank you,

Generally speaking, simply having a device that is unused in your inventory won't go towards a license count.

In the case of MX's, if you go down the HA path and add the 2nd MX to the same network with a existing MX you will still be within the license limits as you don't need another license if you setup a MX HA pair.

Hope this helps

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels