Meraki device as a Guest captive portal for site

ismailsh
Just browsing

Meraki device as a Guest captive portal for site

At many of our sites, we currently utilize Cisco WLC and Access Points. Our objective is to implement a guest captive portal system with a sponsor feature. Essentially, guests would input their details, including a sponsor email address, to request access. The sponsor would then approve access via email.

While Meraki documentation indicates that the guest captive portal operates exclusively through wireless connections, we are exploring the possibility of configuring a guest SSID on our Cisco WLC and utilizing a Meraki device as the default gateway. In this setup, the Meraki device would present the guest captive portal interface via its wired/LAN connection. Once access is approved, users would be able to connect to the internet through the Meraki device.

This configuration resembles the functionality offered by other guest captive portal solutions like Picopoint. We want to leverage this approach to integrate the desired guest access features seamlessly into our existing infrastructure.
4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You cannot make a Meraki Access Point register with a WLC. Meraki APs are managed exclusively through the Meraki dashboard.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In the MX you can configure a VLAN to authenticate via the Portal, but you still cannot use the Portal on your WLC.

Either you use the Meraki portal or another external portal, such as Cisco ISE for example.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply.  We do not want to use the portal on the Cisco WLC.  We just want the guest users to go to the meraki, get a captive portal display, get approved by sponsor and then get guest access.  I will review the link you sent to get more info.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The Meraki MX (a wired solution) does not support sponsored login.  Only Meraki MR (the access points) have this functionality.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels