Meraki dashboard not showing cellular network usage

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Meraki dashboard not showing cellular network usage

I finally got the USB modem, and inserted into the USB port on the Mearki.  I don't have a WAN 2 connected.  Only WAN 1 and CELLULAR.  Why is the dashboard still showing WAN 2 and not the CELLULAR?

Also, I connected the USB modem to my laptop first, and did a speed test.  It's showing 62 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.  I'm assuming I can expect the same speeds from Meraki if it's using cellular?  

Untitled.png

8 REPLIES 8
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Never used the USB one, but I have used the internal cellular models, and there is a red/purple color that will show up as 'Cellular'.

However it only shows network usage, it won't do like active ping tests for connectivity loss and all that.

It took maybe 5 minutes to show up after enabling the cellular interface, and I had to refresh the page.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Rememeber that USB cellular is only used if both WAN1 and WAN2 are down.  One of your WAN links is up, so their should be no cellular usage to speak of.

Yes, you should expect similar speeds through an MX.

I noticed that when WAN 1 fails, it takes about 3 minutes for the cellular to fail over.  Is this normal behavior?  The cellular says "Ready", so shouldn't it take over instantly?

I called Mearki, and they said I should do a software update to see if it fixes the problems.

Also, when we were on cellular, I did a speed test and I was only getting 16 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.  This is not even close to the 62 Mbps / 20 Mbps I was getting while the USB modem was connected to my laptop.

Are you using any of the advance security features with your MX device? In our experience IPS does throttle bandwidth quite a bit.

tantony
Head in the Cloud

I have Advanced Malware Protection enabled and also Intrusion Detection and Prevention turned on.  Is that why the cellular takes a while to fail over and slow speed?

If yes, how can I change it?

tantony
Head in the Cloud

I also have content filtering turned on 

Tuning your IPS/IDS settings is done through Security>Configure>Threat Protection. Personally I wouldn't turn off the service as it is protecting your network users. If the need for extra bandwidth is for a particular application, website, or client you may want to consider applying a white list to that item or adjusting Quality of Service policies if Meraki switches are used in your environment.  

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/Threat_Protection

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Thank you.  We don't have Meraki switches.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels