Meraki VMX Firewall

SOLVED
Surya10101
Getting noticed

Meraki VMX Firewall

I have a doubt whether the meraki Vmx needs a mx hardware application or only a VMx license to be put in the public cloud as a cloud or virtual in azure. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Both the ASA and FTD is available in the cloud but sadly, no full featured MX.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Here is the datasheet:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/vMX_Comparison_Datasheet

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The VMX is a license-only "device". Of course there has to be a cloud instance to run the VMX on that will have an additional cost, but in regards of the dashboard licenses, only the VMX license of the appropriate size is needed.

Surya10101
Getting noticed

Since the vmx needs a cloud instance what if I need to establish a vpn tunnel between vmx instance and a mx firewall in different location

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If both are in the same dashboard organisation, you can use AutoVPN to connect them.

Surya10101
Getting noticed

Okay if my remote users are 50 then do they need cisco anyconnect for each one of them to establish a vpn tunnel between the vmx in azure

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want to connect remote users, AnyConnect is the way to go. After establishing a connection to your VPN-gateway (whichever this is) the users can use the AutoVPN connection on the gateway to connect to other sites if your access-control and routing allows this.

Surya10101
Getting noticed

Also anybody please confirm that is there any threat and malware license and url filtering could come with VMx? 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, the main purpose is to act as a VPN-concentrator and not as a "real" firewall.

So there is no actual cloud firewall available in meraki Or cisco

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Both the ASA and FTD is available in the cloud but sadly, no full featured MX.

Okay. Thanks for the replies. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.